Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chook sent to Coventry.  (Read 1446 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Chook sent to Coventry.
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:48:27 pm »
I now only have 3 chooks along with Jethro, a bluebell, a warren and a light sussex. Blondie, the LS used to be Jethro's favourite, they were always together but now its a different story. He is always attacking her, really hurting her and drawing blood. Its got to the stage now that  the goats and us for company. She has also refused to go into the henhouse at night, preferring to go into the barn. I don't know what to do for the best. Any ideas anyone? Im hoping that by getting some new chooks when I get the new house next week, Jethro may lay off her as he will have many more young girls to occupy him!!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Chook sent to Coventry.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 03:40:59 am »
He might do NM. I wonder though if Blondie isn't gender changing, which happens if her productive ovary gets damaged. She would grow large wattles and a comb and assert herself, which of course Jethro would be threatened by. Failing that I can't think why he would behave like that. We have cockerels with favourites without any similar issues -top hens can get a bit stroppy but the cockerel just treads her and that's it.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:11:55 am »
She's still laying her egg Chris, every day without fail. I know its hers 'cos she uses one of my huge plant pots to lay in whereas the other two lay on the hay in the barn. I really don't know what she has done to upset Jethro, perhaps it was a lovers tiff. The other girls aren't much better with her either, its as if they don't want to get on the wrong side of their boy!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:10:00 pm »
We are real softies but any cockerels who damage hens have to go. We have had a couple who seemed overly aggressive with the hens ... this didn't show until their second year. Is he a young bird?

If there is no good reason for his behaviour then maybe he should be on his way.  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS