Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Questions about tractors and use on roads  (Read 5186 times)

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
Questions about tractors and use on roads
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:33:45 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm looking for my first tractor for topping, tedding and maybe baling in the future. It's going to be something cheap and old with a loader.

1) If I'll be doing a bit on the road (under a mile) to get between fields and sheds do I need one with a V5?

2) If a tractor doesn't already have a V5 is it possible to get one, or not worth the hassle?

Thanks for any advice!
SB

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Questions about tractors and use on roads
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:56:38 pm »
1) If I'll be doing a bit on the road (under a mile) to get between fields and sheds do I need one with a V5?

Yes, otherwise you're not street legal. It's tempting not to, but if you're involved in an accident or get pulled over by the police you'll be stuffed.

2) If a tractor doesn't already have a V5 is it possible to get one, or not worth the hassle?

A good guide here:

http://www.tractor-and-machinery.co.uk/advice/registering-a-tractor.html

It doesn't sound like too much of a hassle.  :)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:05:24 pm »
I was about to say exactly the same as Dan - but he beat me to it!

It is really not worth risking going on the road without being legal - ok the chances are that you'll never be in a situation where you will be checked but if you are then the downsides are HUGE. Sort out the documentation and you won't have to worry. The road tax cost is Nil for an agric tractor, and insurance is also fairly nominal, and you don't need an MOT either.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 07:19:51 am »
Yes, better to get a v5,  you never know when you're going to want to go further afield.

Walker midgely do a vintage tractor policy which as well as going to shows, ploughing matches etc covers agricultural use, it's about £40 a tractor.

As said road tax is free, but you have to have it.

You don't need an mot, but it still has to be road worthy.

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:58:53 am »
Thanks guys! I just wasn't sure if there was an exemption or something for crossing roads, but it looks like applying for a V5 isn't too bad.

Keep an eye out for photos appearing on here of a rusty old pile of junk and me sitting on it looking overly excited...

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 09:27:07 am »
applying for a v5 is easy just fill in a form from the dvla and they ask for £25.00 to process one and with in 2 weeks one will arrive so easy to apply for one as i did in december time

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:48:31 am »
Dont forget to fit a warning beacon :thumbsup:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 11:13:10 am »
A nother comment you can use the tract er 50 miles round on red diesel in winter we use it for fuel and shopping and moving snow .The shops are 9 miles away never been a problem .Getting leagal and insured is the key thing nip dawn and pull  a van out police would be there .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS