Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mf135 road driving 40 miles?  (Read 5657 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Mf135 road driving 40 miles?
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »
Hi all- would it be crazy to road drive an MF135 40 miles? (single track roads nothing too busy, and either v. early 5am or late 7pm onward). I have a big yellow jacket which will help and have 'chaperone' car following me...and I am in the AA!

Your thoughts as always would be very welcome  :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Mf135 road driving 40 miles?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 05:24:11 pm »
The only thing I would say was we were surprised how inexpensive transporting kit is- so by the time you factor in mph for the Massey against mpg for a transporter it might be nearly as cheap and safer to get it lugged to you. You can always do the last mile home to arrive in style as OH did as transporter lorry too big for our track.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:30:24 pm »
I would get it trailered, as if it has any minor faults like overheating you might well do it some damage, they do 15 mph flat out so that's 3 hours.

Better to get home do oil changes check for fluid leaks and gradually get to know the machine.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »
I agree. An old tractor like that will last for ever pottering about a small holding but if you have some underlying issues with it. A 3hour road trip will not do it any favours. A 135 can be transported easily and legally on a trailer (behind a suitable vehicle).

I have just picked up a old rough terrain forklift. Must weigh about 6 tonnes. Local plant firm moved it for me £65/hr. Money well spent.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 07:25:00 pm »
You must also remember that the tractor has to be road legal ie number plate tax cert (Exempt) and insurance for although it may be a quiet road you may just attract attention and it only needs one person to ring the police and the risk is too high, not saying you would try to drive it illegally.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:38 am »
I agree with the previous posts get it trailered. Besides if it does not have at least one beacon and your on the road your asking to get pulled. A defender or disco etc and an ifor williams LM trailer would be fine for the job. I rattle about doing most of my road work in 160hp + tractors and even with their size and lit up like a christmas tree drivers still dont see you or drive like idiots. :rant:

Be safe.

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 12:42:36 am »
I've done plenty of road runs on old tractors.... It can be great fun in good weather... In 2010 a team of girls drove some old tractors from JOG to Lands End with no problems but you need the tractor to be in good nick before you start out and the police do frown upon red diesel for this kind of road use. Personally i would just jump on and drive it.... but i just dont give a rats ass :-)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 04:04:42 am »
Think there was something posted last year about driving a tractor over to France, which they had bought in England because all the old stuff here is knackered.

I'd drive it myself if it is road legal and fully insured. Otherwise you are just asking for trouble Fieldfare.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 07:45:36 am »
The key point of joules tools post is 'you need the tractor to be in good nick before you start out' and this is what your potentially not sure about. Chances are it will be fine, it's probably had an oil change as recently as ten years ago !

Anyway you must surely have your new pride and joy home by now, how is it ? What about a pic ?

Cheers stu

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS