Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay making kit for MF135?  (Read 4341 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Hay making kit for MF135?
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:25:02 pm »
Hi all- what hay making kit would fit nicely with an MF135
1) Drum mower? width? make?
2) Tedder? Bamford Wuffler?
3) Baler? conventional? Hay rake (with a view to ricking it?- does anyone do this anymore?)
Thanks for any advice  :farmer:

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Hay making kit for MF135?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:06:33 am »
5ft6in drum mower,  all makes seem to be ok
Hay bob. For tedding and rowing up. PZ is most common and best

Conventional baler. The newer the better, stored indoors

Thoughts on mower.....they always seem to fetch at least £800 second hand, and are commonly in excess of 20 years old, they spin at incredible revs, it's a huge risk to buy one un tested in a sale..... yet a new one can be bought for less than £2000 just look on ebay.  it seems a no brainer...Only question ...not sure of quality of new ones, but they seem to be copies of old designs. Either PZ or Fahr.  Anyone any experience?

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:27:24 am »
stufe35 is bang on the button with his post totally agree.

i bought one of the PZ copys a couple of years back as a stand in and it did a fine job.

Other option is dont buy anything and get a contract price for the work or part of it, ie the baler.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:21:12 am »
Agri Brewster is right, there's a lot to learn about hay making, and one step at a time is a good approach, I've posted before my thoughts, look through old hay making posts.  A Tedder/ hay bob is the key piece of kit, you use it every day for over a week when making hay,  the rest is easier to buy in as a one off service.

If you are busy baling, who is going to pick up the bales and what with ?  2 hours of baling and you have a field full of bales needing collection.  Get a baler man in you can start picking them up the minute the first one drops out the back....remember rain is on the way !

Stu
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:43:49 pm by stufe35 »

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:27:31 am »
Rain is always on the way!!

Farmer Man

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:41:50 pm »
Haybob is the best machine for any small Scale haymaking operation.
PM if you are in the North of England and need one as I've one in excellent condition which is ready for somebody to use.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS