Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wow!!! what a weekend  (Read 4247 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Wow!!! what a weekend
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »
just got back from a great weekend in wales.... the disability day was awesome, nearly 50 youngsters enjoyed a trip on a kayak ...more than once  :thumbsup:

then today we went looking at 3 smallholdings..the one we thought we would love was awful, the one we thought was going to be awful we loved and the 3rd... was ok...lots for the money..but just didn't produce the gut feeling...

need to do some research on a few items .... number two has been on the market for some time...price is good, but just a couple of minor niggles...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Wow!!! what a weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »
I'm not sure of your price backet but if its similar to ours and the place has been on the market for a while we may well have viewed it. PM me the details if you want a second opinion
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:47 pm »
ditto sally
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:12:23 pm »
.... funny how different each place is when you visit to what you expect. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:23:55 am »
One thing that blew me away was, how beautiful Camarthenshire is. and how easy it is to get to and from ,

with our budget, we need to find a DIY job  :roflanim: but that don't matter... we will still be able to live the dream,and build the place up over time

also we are very very lucky to have a group of friends in the area, who have a lot of building skills  :innocent:

now !!!! the one thing i need to look into is septic tanks...well !!!! not look into them  :roflanim: find out about them ,
as the Barn will be lower than the field...and  the front and side will be no good as this has a small road beside it

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: might have to look at a pumping system of some sort

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:43:01 am »
Oooh, I'm intrigued! I think you were looking a bit West of us, and I've not really been looking at smallholdings for sale too far away - there are a lot on the market near us, including our neighbour so I have a little bit of an interest but no time to scour the internet...hubby does sometimes.

I agree the ones that seem good on paper don't turn out as well and vice versa - we rejected our place twice in favour of other properties but sales fell through at different stages and for different reasons. This was the only one we'd seen that was still on the market and we had no time to keep looking, as we were being posted back from abroad.

For a long while I felt like this property was second, or even third best but I've come to realise it was meant to be ours. The things we are doing here could not have happened at the other places, our lives would've been completely different and actually the other places might have been a mistake!

Good luck  :fc: and be good to have some more TAS'ers in Carmarthenshire!

breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 05:54:14 pm »
i did knock up a quick vid ..not the best of quality, but enough to keep our mind on the place...we did get permission from the vendor

Untitled on Vimeo

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 06:25:57 pm »
John, it looks nicer there than in the estate agents details. The dog seems to have made himself at home too and it looks like you will already have a few sheep hurdles to get you started  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:40:23 pm »
maybe i should start a business up doing smallholding vids for vendors  :roflanim:

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:16:36 pm »
Wow what a view! We also found what looked nice on paper could be very deceptive, and it was worth looking at those we weren't expecting to like as much. Gut feel is the best indication. You obviously have your eyes open as to the enormous amount of work involved. We had to find out about septic tank registration for our purchase (new regulations regarding registering all septic tanks with the environment agency). It turns out ours is within 50 meters of our spring (although downhill of it and the spring has been thoroughly tested and is safe). We can't have a simple registration; instead we need a discharge permit. We are waiting to see if it will be allowed or if we need to move the tank. Good luck with this one! I am sure everyone on here would like to avidly follow your progress wherever you buy. The videos are great!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen (another one)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:29:26 pm »
even though we are limited to budget, we both feel we would rather create our own from scratch so to speak than get a ready made one...but thats , not knocking anyone, thats just us...i guess we both look at, what could be..
and if i am honest , i always find it easier to get my result from scratch instead of trying to alter someone else's work

I hope no one takes offence to that , as we are all totally different. I know some would love to buy a ready made place and who can blame them. that place would keep us busy for a good couple of years, and what a learning curve that will be  :thumbsup:

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:50 pm »
Go back for a second look............................when it's raining  :raining:
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 09:27:39 pm »
we where in wales friday Sunny with showers, saturday  sunny, sunday rain rain rain and more rain, monday rain windy and sunny  :roflanim: we spent 2.5 hrs there and seen rain and sun with a few blowy gusts  :innocent:
and still loved it  :thumbsup:

anyway..they say there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing  :thinking:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 12:17:06 am »
i love wales - you lucky things  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS