Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loading issues  (Read 12826 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Loading issues
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
Ineed, stubborness can just be that: sometimes they just have a different agenda. But what makes them decide they don't want to do... whatever? Lack of motivation/positive reinforcement or some negative feeling about the issue.  The balance can be tipped by bribery, greater fear/pain/punishment than would result if the activity went ahead, or removal of the negative feelings by understanding or making the activity less difficult to comprehend.

I personally don't believe horses don't do things simply to be pigheaded.

yes, i agree. in our case our pony associated the trailer with being ridden, usually riding lessons at a yard down the road. he was ridden kindly, in no fear or pain, sound in all ways,  with professional instructor - or sometimes just hacking in the forest - but he would quite honestly rather stay at home in the field.
i could de-sensitise him to loading by regularly loading him and not taking him to a lesson, and he would load ok, but if i reinforced his "negative theory" by expecting him to work after being loaded, he would be tricky to load again.
he was always a bit tricky to catch without food aswell, if he thought work was in order. he was just happy being a pony and not career minded.
on a similar note, i sold a 2 yr old pony to a family who wanted a quiet family plod. the pony is question was always mentally going to be a plod, the happiest kindest pony, happy to bumble anywhere and everywhere - now this family have progressed to showing and are wanting this pony to be jumping and performing actively on the bit etc and the pony really doesnt want to and is bucking people off now when he is asked to go into 4th gear. of course he is physically capable of being active but in his heart he just loved ambling along at his own pace, and resents being worked harder than he thinks fit.  he is fit and sound, just doesnt enjoy the harder work.
some breeds or individual ponies find normal work much easier and enjoyable than others, and are capable of thinking for themselves.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 01:21:31 pm »
Very interesting reading these stories. I think a little bit of what everyone days is right. I have had my fair share of bad loaders and sometimes it is fear and sometimes stubbornness. Fells I have decided are the most stubborn sods on the planet and in is case I think the water shock treatment is ideal. A bit like Parelli, when I have a lesson if my youngster messes with me and won't move, eventually instructor will flick the carrot stick line which works a treat.

I tackled the loading issues from 8 months, starting with small lorry. A friend came with lorry and we spent half hour with each pony letting him sniff and investigate then walk up ramp when ready. Carrots at top. It didn't take long and on 2nd visit he hardly got ramp down and they were in! Progressed to trailer open front and back, going straight through working up to stopping inside then shutting doors. I have had no problems.

Trouble is if you buy a pony and don't know the history it is hard to solve the issues. I had one mare from 5, travelled perfect then at about 12 she started falling over and flapping around in the trailer. I had to travel without partition alone.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »
Fells I have decided are the most stubborn sods on the planet and in is case I think the water shock treatment is ideal. A bit like Parelli, when I have a lesson if my youngster messes with me and won't move, eventually instructor will flick the carrot stick line which works a treat.

Fells I find to be keen to work, unhappy if they don't have a job, and 'stubborn' if they believe there to be a reason they shouldn't do a thing.  So far I've found pressure-and-release to be magical and to unlock any problems - if you pull a Fell, it'll pull back and you won't win, they're very strong!  But if you make it clear that you want them to come here, but won't force them to do anything that makes them unhappy, then pretty quickly they discover that the thing they thought might be scary, isn't, and do it happily.

I love my Fells.   :love: :horse: :hshoe:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »
I went to an endurance ride on sunday. I loaded Jimmy by myself into the trailer to go out. He walked up first time, no problems. Coming back from the event, I had help from my mum and my daughter. I had a lunge line either side of the trailer and these were crossed behind him, applying continuous, gentle pressure. After standing on the ramp and having a quick think, he went straight in. He has no fear of the trailer now as I've been practising at home. He travels really well, no sweating up and he will doze when trundling along a smooth road as I've woken him up when I've stopped to check on him. He is a good boy, still stubborn at times but a good boy  :D
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 10:02:23 pm »
well done  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS