Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loading issues  (Read 12825 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Loading issues
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 03:27:24 pm »
As for the to tie up or not to tie up. I'm coming round to the idea of not tying him up. The trailer has a central partition which restricts too much movement but also helps to support him. If the partition were to be removed I would tie him up as he does move a hell of alot in the trailer and does cause the towing vehicle to shift about. It's like he's having a party back there! I remember the first few journies he did and he sweated up loads but now he's dry when he gets out. The only thing with leaving him untied is that he could get his head under the breastbar and get panicked if he smacks his head on it.....

My girl did just that the other day, thankfully not too hard but :-(( also a horse not tied up jumped out the back of a trailer on the m1 the other day - dead instantly. I would cross tie to give more flexibility of movement without the ability to turn round. Cattle are very back heavy and have limited jumping room ad travelled with others but a pony can get itself into pickles. Maybe CCTV would be good to see what he does and where any issues lie??

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:45 pm »
These methods aren't about beating the horse into submission but the serreta at least is certainly useful for horses who have learnt that they are stronger than humans.

Sorry, that's beating by another name - it's the use of force to subdue the horse's natural instinct.

Hmm I'll agree to disagree on this.
To me there's a point where keeping horse and humans safe and allowing the human to feel and so exude confidence, mixes well with giving the horse a positive experience e.g. rewards and a gentle trailer ride.

Sounds like the OP is making good progress. I'd go for no partition and cross tying over loose travel myself.

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 08:42:10 pm »
Most of my ponies or horses have been reasonable loaders, years ago a strap around the quarters was usually the acceptable method of encouraging them in.
Then I had a youngster off my haflinger mare , the 1st time she was loaded she was 8 months old , into a horse box , to travel with her Mum from the West Midlands up to North of Glasgow. The haflinger was a good loader and the foal just followed Mum in but when we got to our destination after a long slow journey with stops, she refused to come out, even though the haflinger was unloaded. She was eventually half carried out and then took a massive leap, quite scarey for all concerned.
She didn't need to be trailered anywhere after that for some considerable length of time but I had decided to enter her in a showing class so she had to get there somehow.
The owner of the yard was the most patient horsewoman I have known and she helped me each day getting the youngster used to the trailer. Eating a haynet tied to the outside, walking around and sniffing without and pressure to go in. Eventually we wanted to test the water with her so lead her up to the ramp, she had her two front hooves on the ramp and became uncomfortable so she was calmed and walked away, this happened each time so we guessed it was the noise of the ramp combined with a slight unsteadiness.
We used muck and shavings from the muck heap to cover the ramp and made a path way of the muck/shavings leading up, the youngster was allowed to sniff the path and then walked well up the path and right onto the ramp before realising and straight into the trailer.
Now I had expected to tie her up with a hay net and leave her in for a short time but the yard owner advised me to walk her through the trailer and down the side ramp without stopping. I did this and walked the youngster back to the muck path and did the same again and then once more again.
After that she had a reward of a wee bucket of carrot/apple and allowed back into the meadow.
The next day we went through the same procedure and eventually after about 5 days we did tie her up with the hay net but left the side ramp down so she could see out. Eventually over the next few days , we shut the side ramp, then the back went up and eventually she went for a drive around the block.
That pony never ever had an issue with loading /unloading or travelling.
If you are lucky enough to get them young and spend a little time each day for a couple of weeks or so they learn the lesson of not to fear.
I do think the best thing was leading her straight through the trailer and back round , in my opinion that is when she learnt not to fear.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 11:11:57 pm »

My girl did just that the other day, thankfully not too hard but :-(( also a horse not tied up jumped out the back of a trailer on the m1 the other day - dead instantly. I would cross tie to give more flexibility of movement without the ability to turn round. Cattle are very back heavy and have limited jumping room ad travelled with others but a pony can get itself into pickles. Maybe CCTV would be good to see what he does and where any issues lie??

our ifor williams 505 has top doors on the ramps which we use with all youngsters whether tied or not. our partitions all come out easily so we can be quite flexible.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:33 pm »
Have you tried clicker training? It's time consuming but works brilliantly. I used it on a big Comtois mare who wouldn't let anyone anywhere near her feet as she had suffered an injury to her pelvis in the past and associated her feet being picked up with pain. We got to a stage where she stood still and was very co-operative with having her feet trimmed and it was all achieved with just a clicker and some herbal treats.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 10:57:17 am »
Have been trailer training with the beasty and at home he's much better. So much so that I can load him on my own. However when out it does take three people to load him! I've been using crossed lunge lines behind him and this seems to be working but does need bods to make it work. I am carrying on with the training at home and away. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 12:47:04 pm »
my old arab mare was a bit sticky with loading and needed lunge lines to go in. i managed to do this on my own by hooking the llines up to the offside of the trailer, running it behind her back legs and holding it myself whilst we walked in to together. it did take a pull sometimes but after a while she would go in. i always needed them to load her tho in the end they were just in position with no pressure at all but if i didnt use them, she wouldnt go in. it was psychological in the end. im sure there is a training aid for sale where it is the same principle but has a back attachmment so the lines dont fall too low down, and you hold the lines in your hand by the ponies chest.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 10:00:12 pm »
One of my daughters horses needed to be loaded with lunge reins either side at first we used to have to cross them behind but it got to the stage that we just had to lay them on the ground like tram lines he would just walk straight in.
Anne

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 09:17:27 am »
Yesterday Emma brought Toto out of the field so we could do some training with him. Being a yearling he can be a handful so I like to do a few days a week just taking him in to be groomed and feet picked out. He is now just over 14 hands unlike my Shetlands with long legs that seem to go all over the place. He has not been in the trailer since he came as a weaned foal and then it took 3 of us to coax him in. I gave him lots of time, had some feed but he stood at the bottom of the ramp for about 30mins. After much sweet talking and coaxing he walked in got some food then backed out. Emma was keen for me to do it again but I said always finish on a good note, he did what we asked and tomorrow we can try again.
She is so keen to do things with him but I remind her he is very much a baby so little steps will bring a better reward.

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 04:05:00 pm »
Hi hows the loading going we also have fells and I must say not much scares a fell I also have a 31yr that will plant if she feelis in the mood  ::)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 11:58:59 am »
He's much better to load at home than away and I think he probably always will be. What seems to work best is two lunge lines behind him and me not going in the trailer before him. He's a funny beasty.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 09:53:00 pm »
As you have, Brinjjy, I've found that it makes a huge difference if you can position the trailer so that the sun (or as much light as possible) is shining into it, so the horse isn't going into a dark space as horse's visual accommodation is very poor.  Similarly, having the front ramp or jockey door open to allow more light in helps.  So does having an easy-loading companion along!

I do the same as you did: when the horse hesitates, I take him away, or circle him near the ramp a couple of times and then ask again.  Every time he hesitates, I do the same.  Horses take longer to think things through than humans so giving them thinking space without pressure can make a big difference.  Stubborness is usually either confusion or fear so reassurance and thinking time can really help.  I know: I have a Cleveland Bay.  I have never found him to be stubborn, but he does like to think things through and work it out for himself.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 11:30:50 pm »
Stubborness is usually either confusion or fear

i disagree, stubborness can be just that - stubborness. our pony would happily load for food, no food and no loading. just because he didnt want to. no fear/confusion in the slightest. ours are highlands who are well-known for thinking for themselves, thats how they survive on the hills. we had a grade A showjumper who couldnt make a decision for himself, would follow you blindy anywhere but no way he could he may a decision unless you told him the answer. he would load no problem but he couldnt find his way out of the copse in his own field.
the art is getting them to want to go in and them thinking it was their idea in the first place.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »
Ineed, stubborness can just be that: sometimes they just have a different agenda. But what makes them decide they don't want to do... whatever? Lack of motivation/positive reinforcement or some negative feeling about the issue.  The balance can be tipped by bribery, greater fear/pain/punishment than would result if the activity went ahead, or removal of the negative feelings by understanding or making the activity less difficult to comprehend.

I personally don't believe horses don't do things simply to be pigheaded.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:20:31 pm by Hevxxx99 »

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 12:43:48 pm »
I love the image of the Grade A showjumper lost in a little wood.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS