Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Herdwick fleeces  (Read 12997 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Herdwick fleeces
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 01:37:48 pm »
A great price, well done!

It'd be interesting to know what your buyer plans to do with it... always on the lookout for good ideas! ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »
i quite like the herdwick it dies vary in texture,but is lovely colours,ive just bought from norfolk but the postage has cost as much as the fleece and i pd £3 a fleece,i got them last year and they are nice fleeces.They make lovely peg loom rugs and are nice mixed,have tried spinning and it spins easy,but does feel a wee bit string like.

Pomme homme

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 09:31:45 pm »
Not Herdwick, but today I counted myself lucky to get 20 € for 4.5 x 100 litre sacks of wool (from Texel crosses) - which I had offered to give away for a nice bottle of wine! It's quite evident that there's virtually no commercial value in small amounts of home shorn wool. However the chap who took mine away told me that he proposed to use it for pillow stuffing.

Pomme homme

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 11:10:01 pm »
....and subsequently I've been informed that he intends to use it to insulate his loft!

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:28 am »
http://www.britishwool.org.uk/priceschedule.asp?pageid=50

9/10p a kilo at woolboard in 2012? :o

You did more than alright! ;)
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 11:17:46 pm »
If anyone wants some Herdwick fleeces  in south Wales, I've got about six (plus two Welsh Mountain crosses) in the barn that I've no plans for. You're welcome to them if you can collect.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HeatherC

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:03 am »
Hi, I've just purchased a beautiful Herdwick fleece from a shop in Bradford-on-Avon (Somerset) for £45 - hope that helps, though expect you've sold them by now!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 11:49:10 am »
H,  Do you mean fleece or a sheepskin rug?  If fleece is selling for £45 then I have robbed myself ::) ???

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 01:24:34 pm »
Anything more than nothing is good, the wool board only pay 9-10ppkilo!!!

Unlike my Shetlands which I get about £1.20per kilo for.

Think I might sell the Herdie ones privately and just keep sending the Shetland to the board

This is the first year I've had herdies and they just seem to get huger and huger every time I look at them!!! Lovely great mammoths!!! :-D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 04:03:59 pm »
Hi, I've just purchased a beautiful Herdwick fleece from a shop in Bradford-on-Avon (Somerset) for £45 - hope that helps, though expect you've sold them by now!
I think you must mean a sheepskin - still got the skin on, the sheep is now dead - and not a fleece, which is the fibre only and the animal is probably still alive - certainly wasn't slaughtered before the fleece was removed.

I'd pay £45 or more for a superb and huge Teeswater or other exceptional spinners' fleece, but not for a Herdy fleece, not in a million years!

For any nice sheepskin though, £45 is a good price, it will have cost the producer most of that to get it processed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 06:08:35 pm »
I'd not expect to pay more than shearing costs for Herdwick  and even at that it would be expensive for what it is. It is a very, very coarse wool and has limited uses.

I was given five Herdwick fleeces a few years ago. It spins into pan scrubber if you try to spin it into anything less than an aran yarn so I got out my big Country Spinner, literally threw the fleece into it in handfuls and ended up with what you could politely call a textured chunky singles yarn. Still a bit brillo like but it made a lovely rug just woven as singles, it was very hard wearing and it doubles as a foot exfoliator.  ;D  I was very selective as to what I used from the five huge fleeces though, I only used the best bits and the rest ended up in the compost bins.

I can't quite see myself knitting with Herdie yarn, I can't think what I'd want to make. Slippers? Cat bed? There are nicer types of wool like Texel that wouldn't cost more per fleece usually but would be far pleasanter to work with.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS