Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What would happen ?  (Read 4301 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
What would happen ?
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:00:54 am »
Here's one for you all, lets assume there's a zombie apocalypse, and, you and your family have just been bitten, lets say by the postman, so just before you change into a flesh eating rabid creature you remember to open the doors so the dogs can get out..

Would your artificially created pack of dogs act as a pack and stay together or would they all do their own thing?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: What would happen ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:04:29 am »
I'll have one of what Alistair's drinking please ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:14:26 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  Alister, stay off the jelly beans!!!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:38 am »
Well my setters would head off to the hills hunting pheasant or grouse or something followed by the collies who would try to round them up and bring them back!
What about the poor sheep and goats though? would I end up munching on them or do I have time to open the gate?

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:26:01 am »
I'm not very familiar with zombie mores - but as my two collies wouldn't leave me, does that mean I'd eat them? :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »
Zombies don't eat dogs - just people

It's a serious question though, I mean wolves hunt in packs but these are family based, but would our dogs do that or just wander off because the pack structure isn't based on genetics just on our choice, and of course we would be the living dead so would we still be the alpha dog in the pack or not

Shep I think all the animals would need to be loose, it's morally the right thing to do isn't it?

I've just seen the postman, he didn't try and bite me so I think we've got away with out an apocalypse for today anyway

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:39:19 pm »
You need to get out more.... ;D

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:41:10 pm »
I Avnet been out for a while, been ill, but to postulate further...

Would my pack be better off because they've all been neutered, or would you need to have a breeding male and female to make it stable?

How big is a pack, I have 4, I think that probably constitutes a pack

As a large proportion of the dogs in this country are neutered, after say 10yrs would there be a vast decrease in the number of dogs leading to their extinction quite quickly or not?

I have contacted the kennel club about procedures for doing the best by our dogs in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I shall report back when they reply, I have also berated them on the lack of information on this type of thing on their website.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 01:16:40 pm »
Most dog people will tell you, "Three's a pack". ;)

And I only wish it were the case that most dogs are neutered... it only takes one unneutered male and one unneutered female... trust me, they would soon be rife.

I look forward to hearing the KC's response.   :roflanim: :roflanim:

I'm more worried about your scorpion and other pets being let loose... :o

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: Bizarre topic!

Jim and Corrie would stick together and Tarn would just sit in the garden  :roflanim:

I am sure the kennel dogs would go to the four winds lol

Helen

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:42:38 pm »

I have contacted the kennel club about procedures for doing the best by our dogs in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I shall report back when they reply, I have also berated them on the lack of information on this type of thing on their website.

\Have you? seriously?  this post has made my day  ;D  can't wait to hear what they say!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Meg wouldn't leave us and would probably starve to death. Tess would head off to forage and watch he ponies and Fillan would bark a lot. Just like normal really  ;D

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 02:23:12 pm »
http://www.examiner.com/article/preparing-your-dog-for-a-zombie-attack

It's amazing what's on the Internet, some useful advice here, still can't find anything definitive on what happens after your infected though, I'll keep looking, probably do a bit of research, maybe a spreadsheet or something, if I can find my crayon i may draw a picture of a zombie apocalypse, oh took it off me and put it away after I got it stuck up my nose

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 03:33:08 pm »
Well dogs don't really 'pack', they do have some friends that they hang out with and play with, but they scavenge for food by them selves (other dogs are competition for resources).

There is a fab book called Dogs: A new understanding by Ray and Lorna Coppinger. They study ferral dogs and have written lots of papers on dog behaviour and feeding. They (amongst others) blow the dog dominance theory out of the water and the BARF diet.

Another good book is John Fishers book In defence of dogs that discribes ferral and domestic dog behaviour.

I have my zombie plans in place- get to the Winchester :0)
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 03:40:39 pm »
OK, 2 of mine would hunt but not catch anything and the other would catch stuff but not hunt and would not go far from me, so if I ate them, I would not survive too long, maybe its best for us all to work as a pack, funny thing is, when I go walkies on my own with them they check on me all the time, my chocolate lab does not go far at all unless she smells dead meat (in the case of Zombies, she may well bring a few back) but when I go out with my husband, they check on me less and never check on him....so, we would be a good pack, 2 could hunt and kill, one could retrieve and I could cook and my husband clean up....as long as we still had electricity for his hoover!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS