Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: broody hens  (Read 2520 times)

droveway

• Joined Feb 2013
broody hens
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »
Good Afternoon;
          Is this unusual ? I have a broody Silkie sitting on 5 eggs, a light Sussex has joined her in the nest box sitting on 3 eggs, they have now been joined by another Silkie. There are 10 boxes and 9 birds that share the house with access to a large run.
                                                     Any Thought's. Thank's Pete.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:36:29 pm by droveway »

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: broody hens
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:36:19 pm »
There is no understanding a chickens logic.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:55:12 pm »
we let this scenario happen once but when the first chicks hatched - all the hens were trying to mother it at the same time and squashed them all to death. separating them into broodycoops will prevent this.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:50:03 pm »
Good advice from Shygirl. You are heading for disaster Droveway.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:34:30 pm »
Can you move a broody hen to a coop on her own once she's sitting tight? only reason I ask is that I have a pekin just gone broody yesterday. I was worried about moving her into the separate broody coop that she might get stressed? but obviously for the same reasons that Droveway is experiencing or could potentially suffer, I need to move her from the main house.
Sorry for hijacking Droveway! but similar issues  :) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:42:15 pm »
yes pick her up and put her with her eggs in somewhere like a rabbit hutch. you need to let her out to poop and feed etc everyday and then put her back on her eggs. if shes broody, she'l be happy enough, just watch she doesnt peck you when you try to move her  :o

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:41:49 am »
Yes, if she's seriously broody, she'll sit tight anywhere. Mine have all gone broody in the hen house and I've always separated them off before putting serious eggs under them (my own chicken eggs are not 'serious' because the cockerel's of dodgy heritage). I tend to move them onto fake eggs first and then once they're settled on those, I put the proper eggs under. Often easiest to move them at night (or at least evening) because they'll just got straight to sleep. Mind you, I have Orps which are just big and dopey. Maybe other hens are a bit more feisty when you move them,

H

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 07:28:51 am »
If I am moving a broody I always move them with either a couple of dummy eggs or a couple of infertile eggs to make sure she is sitting tight after moving her before I risk the good eggs under her.
I moved one last week and then set 12 under her   :fc: all seem fertile after candling them just to show there is some good eggs on ebay
Graham

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:07:38 am »
I had two broodys sitting next to each other last year.  They had a pretty successful hatch and they both looked after all the chicks together.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS