Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lethargic lamb  (Read 2870 times)

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
Lethargic lamb
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:26:16 pm »
One of my Heb lambs, which was bottle fed, is looking lost and lethargic. He always seems to have a mouth full of chewed grass. I have put him in front of the creep feed, he pushes it around but does not swallow it. He has been weaned for the last month and has only been like this the past couple of days. I have bottle fed him some lectade to give him some electrolytes in case he is dehydrated. Any suggestions?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lethargic lamb
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »
Is his rumen working properly?  Are his teeth ok?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:51:17 am »
He has been on grass for the past couple of weeks. I assume his rumen is working, although how do you check? His teeth look fine. I will isolate him, keep feeding the isotonic solution and feed him just creep. I have pig enclosure that is like the desert.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:15:41 am »
To check the rumen, first smell the breath - you don't want to be smelling any ketones or sourness.  Secondly, watch his left flank for the 'rumen wave' and keep an eye, ear (and nose!) out for farts and belches.  The rumen should contract every 30 seconds or so, and you can see the wave travel along the flank as it does this.  You may also often catch the belch, or sometimes fart, that accompanies its conclusion!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:26:36 pm »
Have they been wormed ??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS