Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ducklings hatching  (Read 2293 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
ducklings hatching
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »
I have 3 aylesbury eggs starting to hatch, really excited now, hope l am around to see them hatch but know it can take a while. I wonder?  Should l keep spraying them to keep the humidity up or just let them get on with it?  Not done this before but am now hooked. 

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: ducklings hatching
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:44:14 pm »
We had our first ducklings hatch 3 weeks ago and increased the humidity to around 70% once they had started pipping. Goodluck  :fc:  oh and get ready for the mess they make, but they make up for it in the cuteness factor
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:55:49 pm »
Oh great hadn't given the mess a thought, something to look forward too.  I have 2 hens that should hatch their ducks at the same time and am hoping to foster the incubator ones to them.  Wonder if that will work?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:18:15 pm »
Yes, it should work fine. I've done it many times. :fc:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:33:47 pm »
Oh good it will save me a brooder and the hen can do all the work for me.  The hen with 4 ducklings she hatched herself is a good mum, but they will be as big as her in another week.  I suppose sneaking them in late in the day to my other broody hens is the best do you think?  Or night-time lock up?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:38 pm »
Basically it's best to get the incubator chicks under the broody as soon as they've dried out. I usually sneak them under some time during the day, just so I can check that they're ok. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 01:30:23 pm »
Right thats the plan then.  They should finish hatching by tomorrow, l shall be a nervous wreck by then.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »
Hatched 3 out of four aylesbury ducklings, lovely little things and put them under the broody hen sitting on 5 eggs starting to hatch.  She took to them straight away.  She now has 7 ducklings to look after.  They dont understand chicken yet but are getting the hang of things.  Lovely sunny first day for them to come out. Very pleased with the fostering hen.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:20:35 pm »
Congratulations  :thumbsup: I didn't realise how stressful hatching eggs can be until we hatched this year  :D

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:29:12 pm »
Its incredible, you don't know if you are doing right and when they start to pip you want to help but know you must not touch.  We had one that started first and was left behind when the other two hatched and l gave him a bit of help.  Glad l did cause he was stuck, but he is fine now.  Wouldn't have missed it though. Planning the next lot now, must be mad.  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS