Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treatment for free range ex batt hens....  (Read 1442 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Treatment for free range ex batt hens....
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:56 am »
I have Just bought 10 hens there were from an egg farm but they ha outside space. They don't look half as bad as the caged ones but hardly lookers....a couple hay like a mucas coming from there mouth....so that needs treating but what is it? I've just out mite powder on them all an gonna worm them after there in my garden at the moment (my quarantine) when can I take them with the other birds safely

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Treatment for free range ex batt hens....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:30:47 am »
Could be a respiratory infection Azzdodd. Or it could be an inoculation flare-up caused by the stress of moving house (IB infectious bronchitis). Need to observe their poos. Green will be an infection. Worming with Flubenvet is a good idea as they have probably never been done. Good luck with them. They used to sell year old hens near me in Staffordshire at £1 each -think that's good value, as they will have loads of laying life left in them.

Mixing them with your other birds may cause big problems. They will be ILT and IB virus carriers and if they shed the virus and none of your other birds have been inoculated they will all be infected. We had this problem and had three very stressful weeks nursing the flock back to health. Didn't lose any but 4 years on and our cockerel still gets ILT flare-ups.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS