Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what can it be  (Read 1549 times)

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
what can it be
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:02:48 am »
i decreased my flock a few weeks ago
bringing the total here to about 100 hens
over the last few weeks about 30 have gone ,,
its sometimes just 1 or 2 ,, but thens about 5 or 6 goes
a few feathers nothing more left
it cant be foxes ,, not enough damage
so what can it be >:(

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: what can it be
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:21 am »
Think it could be foxes.

A neighbour with quite a lot of hens had a visit from foxy about 2 months ago. Caught him in the middle of them (free range). He had killed about 6 birds. Seen nothing of him since. She spoke to me a couple of weeks ago to say that she was missing birds in a regular, steady fashion. No sign of feathers etc. though they range over her large garden and surrounding fields so not easy to find. She assumed they were going broody and would appear with chicks. Called me a couple of days ago to say that she had caught fox trotting quietly up her garden with her pekin cockerel in his mouth. One other hen was missing.

She now assumes most of her losses must be from foxy picking them off a few at a time. No great slaughter and no piles of feathers. Seemingly a very controlled and quiet business.

Our butcher lost 30 hens recently in a similar way. Picked off one or two at a time in daylight over the course of a few weeks.

Hope you sort it.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:55:09 pm »
Hi,they take them back alive this time of the year for the cubs to play with.

Graham.
Graham.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:47:22 pm »
Hi taz

Sorry to here that,

Can you leave the dogs out, would they alert you to something ?

Didn't you have something similar happen before?

Hope you get it sorted
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:34:11 am »
thanks all .. all ok this morning ,,all accounted for ,, but still being carefull,,
mojo it was eggs that were being taken before ,, got that sorted ages ago

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 07:17:26 am »
Could it be a mink ? We had a mink on the river a few years ago and sometimes it was only the odd chicken vanished  and other times a few where killed
Graham

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 09:53:49 am »
we had mink stealing the eggs when we first moved here ,, so might be,, didnt think about them!!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 09:59:02 am »
I agree with the mink theory - we had a few mysterious disappearances when we lived Up North .  The holding had burns on 3 sides, so idea environment for them, but we never actually saw any - just the evidence  :(

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS