Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ebay Eggs !!!  (Read 11173 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Ebay Eggs !!!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 01:56:43 pm »
I check out E-bay for eggs occasionally and if there's some that I fancy, I always check out what else the seller has for sale. Quite often, the seller will have dozens of breeds available and thats a right turn off. They are IMO just chicken pedlars.

I only keep two breeds of chickens and to keep these takes a lot of time and preparation. In an attempt to breed the best specimens that I can, I have to keep meticulous records of my breeding programmes and keep umpteen pens of the same breeds of birds. Someone whose only playing the numbers game would find it virtually impossible to do the same. I don't want to buy from a jack of all trades master of none.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:24:27 pm by Bodger »

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 07:08:02 pm »
I have bought eggs from eBay first only 5 out of 12 hatched the second are in now and all are fertile depends where there from

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 09:12:14 pm »
I found my eggs on ebay - I sorted the seller by nearest first and there were several within 20 miles. I asked one if I could collect (he was just down the road and I didn't want to wait for the post), and he was happy with that.

not only did I transport the eggs in person but I got to see the parents, the run they were in, and actually picked my eggs from the nest box myself.

I guess if you're looking for a specific breed you may have to travel quite a bit further, especially if you're looking for a rare breed, but there's a lot to be said for collecting the eggs and being able to see the conditions they're produced under.

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »

Interesting to here others experience with ebay eggs I recently bought eggs from the website for the first time. 6 white call duck which turned out to have burst air sacks, so either very bad handling or a little shaking, didn't take it further than emailing the seller to say they were all infertile with burst air sacs, as the account said no refunds. As a new ebay user I maybe should have?

The other 6 I bought were bronze turkey eggs which all proved fertile one stopped developing at 2.5 weeks everything was going great until I went to check the incubator and eggs I'd left in good faith with a family member who was hatching  there own call duck eggs only to find two burst rotten call duck eggs in with turkey eggs, Needless to say I was  :rant: More so than with the family member than the dodgy call eggs I bought.

I really could of kicked myself for being so stupid as to lend my incubator and won't do it again.

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 11:59:40 pm »
I also hatch eggs for people so far  a 90% sucksess rate  ducks chicken partridge phesent goose and quail

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 07:34:59 am »
Well I have eggs in the incubator at the moment from a totally different seller and there is 11 out of 12 fertile  :fc:
Graham

Tricia

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 05:34:52 pm »
The not hatching part is probably par for the course, however, the type of hatched bird is another matter.  I would contact the seller first and make a fuss.  There is such a thing as trading standards, even in cyber land shopping.  You can put negative feed back on the seller's site - threaten to do it first.  That is something no seller wants.  Then I would contact Ebay directly.  They will often intervene.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS