Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ebay Eggs !!!  (Read 11151 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Ebay Eggs !!!
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »
Bought 12 silver laced wyandotte bantam eggs off ebay  and they hatched yesterday, only 3 chicks rest infertile  .
its a risk you take getting eggs posted but the chicks are NOT SLW as they have feathered legs
I have contacted the seller and she says my dad must have  got confused between my sliver laced pekin experiments they're not quite full pekins yet and has offered a refund for the eggs but not the postage
what would you do in a sitiation like this.
I now have 3 chicks I dont want and a broody wasted on these eggs
Graham

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Ebay Eggs !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:54:03 pm »
It's a difficult one. Certainly demand full refund including p&p. Dealing with the unwanted chicks is another matter, don't really know other than ask if she can collect them in person.it's not like an item that can be returned in the post  :-\   If she isn't local the only option is to put them up for a new home and cross fingers.

Guess this is the risk with buying eBay eggs  :thinking:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:09:33 pm »
And if she doesn't refund contact Ebay - they will look into it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:23:12 pm »
If you haven't left feedback for her, threaten her with negative feedback if she doesn't give you back your postage.  She breached the contract, she has to put you in the same position as you would have been in if the breach hadn't occurred.

Start an ebay dispute, they can take money straight from her paypal account and refund you. Ebay dispute is the way to go.  Its actually quite biaised in favour of the purchaser.

Good luck xx

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:34:02 pm »
Thanks for the replys, she sells lots of breeds of eggs on ebay  and I told her I would be taking it further and also leave a negative feedback so she did an instant total refund  ::)
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »
I bought 24 Buff Sussex eggs, got only 3 chicks (and I do know what I'm doing incubating) and they are three very different chicks! We'll see. At least two of them are pullets.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 05:07:08 am »
I am amazed that people still buy eggs off ebay.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 06:56:07 am »
To Be fair not all sellers are bad and its no different to buying eggs from anyone else online.
If you live out in the sticks its the only option other than driving over a hundred miles  ::)
Graham

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 07:05:45 am »
WE sell eggs on ebay chris     and test hatch regularly to ensure fertility  we also pack well to minimise shock in transit and have few if any problems. The trouble is nothing is guaranteed with mother nature and sadly many expect fantastic results with poor equipment/technique/whatever..........we have never tho sent pekin eggs in mistake for sussex  ???  tho have received one or two when hatched funny lookers
As buyers we've had arare mix of both good and bad results and discovered sadly there are some very unscrupulous sellers out there    but as said   not all are rogues and sometimes through the post is the only way to get what you're looking for :sunshine:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 09:10:17 am »
Hi Sokel. When you consider how much time and effort you have put in to hatch the eggs, travelling 100 miles to be more certain of good results seems well worth it to me. Plus you haver the uncertainty of the transportation in the post which can easily result in major hatching failure. You will also be sure of getting them freshest.

I think the only way for good hatching eggs is to buy from someone recommended Padge. It doesn't have to be blindly through ebay.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 10:43:50 am »

I've never bought eggs from E-bay but then I do have quite a few contacts in the poultry world. If you're not in that position and you want a particular breed then I can fully understand why E-bay might be your only choice. It might be that you live in an isolated area, or your just starting out in poultry.

PS. Does anyone have any half decent Mottled Leghorns in large fowl? :wave: 

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Just to give a positive note on ebay experience - I bought three separate lots of eggs a couple of years
 ago now which were all very good and had an excellent hatch rate 15 out of 18 - I think the people I dealt with were established breeders.  However a subsequent purchase of six eggs failed completely and were not fertile!!
I think there may be people jumping on the band wagon to make a quick buck which is a shame when there are good people selling a legitimate product on ebay.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »
WE sell eggs on ebay chris     and test hatch regularly to ensure fertility  we also pack well to minimise shock in transit and have few if any problems. The trouble is nothing is guaranteed with mother nature and sadly many expect fantastic results with poor equipment/technique/whatever..........we have never tho sent pekin eggs in mistake for sussex  ???  tho have received one or two when hatched funny lookers
As buyers we've had arare mix of both good and bad results and discovered sadly there are some very unscrupulous sellers out there    but as said   not all are rogues and sometimes through the post is the only way to get what you're looking for :sunshine:
We also sell eggs on ebay and I totyally agree. Some buyers these days are just unreasonable, I had one complain that only 8 out of 12 had hatched! Trouble is if someone's incubation is poor they always blame it on the eggs and therefore the seller of the eggs.  I regularly test fertility and have only once had eggs damaged in the post. I also agree that there are some charlatans out there but it ain't fair to diss everyone who sells eggs on ebay.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 06:49:35 pm »
Hi,I have bought lots of eggs off e bay and have been very please in the main with the results.I generally like to collect the eggs in person and will travel up to 100 miles,me and the wife like to make a day out of it.I have met some exceptionally nice people this way.
I have had a few problems with broken eggs in the post infertile eggs,in every case I have contacted the vendor via email and they have gone out of there way to sort things out.I bought some mixed eggs recently and one type was infertile it was only a couple of eggs I only emailed the guy so to make him aware he had a problem,the guy replied saying he had tested some himself and found the same,but had some chicks from an earlier test that I could have,how nice is that,I was so pleased.

Graham.
Graham.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 08:28:17 pm »
Hi Sokel. When you consider how much time and effort you have put in to hatch the eggs, travelling 100 miles to be more certain of good results seems well worth it to me. Plus you haver the uncertainty of the transportation in the post which can easily result in major hatching failure. You will also be sure of getting them freshest.

I think the only way for good hatching eggs is to buy from someone recommended Padge. It doesn't have to be blindly through ebay.
I would still buy off ebay apart from the distance and cost ,health and commitment to animals at home would not allow me to travel that sort of distance to collect eggs
I know for certain that there is a lot of poultry show people sell on ebay  and I have had fantastic eggs from some of them in the past but in this case there was not many available of the breed I wanted
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:34:02 pm by sokel »
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS