Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Murphy - sheep safe course (and pics!)  (Read 5580 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Murphy - sheep safe course (and pics!)
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:57:50 pm »
Murphy is starting a 'sheep safe' course in Malvern, Worcs on 23rd June. Looking forward to it very much!  It will train Murphy to ignore livestock unless told otherwise and is a course developed to cope with a lot of local sheep deaths due to dogs. wish us luck!! (they've said "not for cold or fragile dogs...or owners..." eek!)

oh here's a pic - he was rooting for Watford in the championship play off final...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Murphy - sheep safe course (and pics!)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:59:43 pm »
Oh, he is so gorgeous.
Have a good time on the course and don't forget to share some of the tips with us
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:28:41 pm »
Arh  bless him, no sheep will come near him dressed like that...he is lovely  !!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »
Looking froward to hearing all about the course - sounds really good.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:09:36 am »
what a great idea.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 09:10:37 am »
I read about the course in the local press - there were lots of sheep killed in Malvern where many sheep and cattle graze on common land.
It is heavily subsidised by the conservators  and has encouraged lots of dog owners to take part. It would be great if this kind of course could be rolled out UK wide really!

http://www.educating-rover.co.uk/dog_training.html] [url]http://www.educating-rover.co.uk/dog_training.html[/url]

the link tells you about how Sue achieves results  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 09:20:47 am »
The place I go for gun dog training (when I go) also does a bit on stopping dogs chaseing sheep, mine never seem to bother but no way would I tempt them  by letting them loose anywhere near sheep....I had a shock once when I walked along a part of a disused train line, that I often use so knew it was safe, I stopped to put my dogs back on a lead as some one was comming along and from the field behind came a few sheep to watch, I had no idea they were there but they came up to the gate to see what was going on...so I stopped going along that bit just in case......

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 01:19:43 pm »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 01:27:27 pm »
Sounds like a fab idea! Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Helen

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:40:10 pm »
That link should read
 http://www.educating-rover.co.uk/dog_training.html

thanks Sally  :thumbsup:  I was a bit over zealous in my link writing  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 08:23:49 pm »
Lesson 1 today - I'm exhausted and so 's Murphy!

We covered 'focus' and keeping our dogs attention, 'leave' (dropping treats and using the command) some recall, off lead amongst other dogs using 'leave' and murphy ate loads of sheep poo. Very good so far, my confidence has increased and they have shown me my bad habits (too tight a grip on the lead, not praising enough at the right time etc) but also identified that in order to hold Murphys focus, he's a dog that doesnt' respond well to lots of speaking, instead he responds if I'm almost silent and use hand commands only.

Really, really impressed so far - looking forward to next Sunday!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:14 pm »
That sounds really good. Its interesting to hear about the hand signals too. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 11:06:59 pm »
so does murphy chase your sheep? mine used to chase mine but stopped after a long while. i wouldnt trust my terrier though but we dont have any sheep at the moment.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 07:36:58 am »
Not really, Shygirl but he's still a pup and I want to do all I can to be in control from day 1. He does chase one wether if he runs but I can break the chase with 'leave' in a firm voice. He has chased my goatling though, We lost a lamb to a dog attack at xmas so I'm uber sensitive about it all really!

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 12:09:01 pm »

Course sounds amazing wish there were more in the country!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS