Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Claw trimming  (Read 3887 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Claw trimming
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:03:56 am »
Any recommendations please? I think Murphys claws need some attention. He's 11 months and I guess because most of his daily activities are on grass rather than pavements, his claws are a bit long? I can just about hear them tapping when he's on my floorboards.
Do you do your own (dogs that is!) or is it vet only? I obviously do sheep n goats feet and have trimmed rabbit claws back so am OK about not going to far back for bleeding etc
any good products/tools for the job you can recommend?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Claw trimming
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:16:06 am »
Yes I do my own dogs, and many others....

It's easy, I will find a link to the easiest type of clippers to use and post it in a bit

Basics,

Dogs have a little blood vessel in the nail, the quick, it grows with your dogs nail, the longer the nail the longer the quick, so a dog with over long nails will probably bleed when you cut them

If your dog has clear nails you can see the quick so you cut just below this, if they're black nails its more tricky, but what you are looking to see is a black cut surface with a whiteish centre, bit like a section through aldente spaghetti is he best way I can describe it, so trim bit off till this is what you see then stop, it's then a fair bet to cut the dogs nails to that length all over

DON'T forget the dew claws

If it does bleed you need some trimmex styptic powder, just dab it on

Oh and put the dog on a table, don't do it on the floor the dog will be calmer
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:22:48 am by Alistair »

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:21:08 am »
http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/mikki-nail-clippers-for-small-animals/?gclid=CLn4z5qkgbgCFVMetAodExIARg

Something like that, or the clippers with a guard on them, the guillotine type ones are a faff to use in my opinion

And play with your dogs feet to get them used to it as well, don't be afraid just to do one paw with loads of treats and then do another paw the next day if the dogs not happy

It also a good time to trim the hair from the bottom of the foot and make sure there's nothing stuck in between the toes and pads, small blunt nose scissors best thing to use and remember dogs feet are webbed and there's skin between the pads

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:26:14 am »
As Alistair says.

If you have done your bunnies, it's the same principal.

An alternative method is to rub/file them down with emery cloth. You can do it gradually a little each day if you like. For a pup, you may have to lie him down and hold still with your leg ..... if he is a wriggle bum like some of ours were. Some dogs find this less worrying and some owners prefer it .... more control as to taking a little off at a time.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:29:40 am »
Oh best way to hold your dog..

Imagine he's sat by your side but he's on a table, put your arm round him, lift his leg and attack the nail that way, you'll be in more control, for the front legs anyway, the back legs just sort of pick them up

To make it easier put your thumb in the middle of the top of the pad and a finger between the toes and heal of the pad and press gently this splays the toes out

You need to remain calmn at all times, the dog may flinch at first until he gets used to it

Little tip here, if you cut the nail vertically down wards you have less chance of cutting the quick on long nails but the nail will initially be sharper once cut, this will however wear down quickly, if you do cut the quick dont get upset, it happens, the dogs not bothered ad it will heal shorter so will be less likely to happen next time
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:36:26 am by Alistair »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:53 am »
our clippers are just regular ones from the petshop. they have a safety bit so you can only cut off a bit at a time if you are worried about cutting too much. our gsd needs her middle toes doing every 6 mths or so.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:36:53 am »
As a vet, my tip for deciding whether you need to cut nails is to look at the shape. If they are white nails and you can see the quick, and there is a fair bit beyond, you can clip them, if there's not much past the quick then they are fine, and leave them be. If you are not sure, or they are dark, draw an imaginary line flat from the bottom of the pad. If the nails curl beyond this, you can assume they are too long, and trim back. If just a little past the line, trim so the line becomes flat, if a long way past the imaginary line, just trim a little at a time so you don't hit the quick, as it can grow longer if the claws are very long. If the claws are above the imaginary line, there isn't a lot of nail left to play with, so you are more likely to hit the quick, and I would advise against trimming.
The other thing is to make sure it is a pleasant experience for a young dog, so they're not put off their feet being touched for life. Making sure you don't trim too short, so only trimming when necessary as above, making it not stressful, gently doing a bit when sat on the sofa, with food, etc, rather than being pinned down and made to have his feet trimmed would be much better.
All the best with him :)
Suzanne

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:13:59 am »
Brilliant - thanks everyone  :thumbsup:  will probably do a foot a day, hadn't thought of trimming the hair in his feet - thank you for that tip.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 11:27:15 am »
Plums I use guillotine type nail clippers and find they are very easy to use. I am always worried about the quick as Archie has black nails so I just do a little at a time. It does mean that I do them more often but it only takes 5 mins and is no hassle.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:11 am »
I use guillotine clippers as well and for the wimpy dogs, literally do one a day, until they are all done!

Helen

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 05:39:16 pm »
My claw trimmers arrived very quickly - have cut one claw and Murphy screamed the house down, only took about 1.5mm off.  Scared the bejeezus out of me. Hadn't cut him or anything!  Since we've had him I've made a point of examining his paws while we relax watching tv etc. not quite sure what it was about but its kind of put me off a bit  :-\

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:12:11 pm »
Do another tomorrow, try and gt someone to divert his attention with a chicken leg or something while you cut it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS