Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worried about Charlie  (Read 10394 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Worried about Charlie
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 09:40:53 am »
Well, not so worried about Charlie this morning. :relief:

Found him laid up by his mum in the corner of the field at 7am; made him get up (he must hate me - although not enough to get up when he sees me. Yet.). He had a feed, an enormously long pee (it went on and on  and on), then a poo (bright yellow and firm - OMG what has my life come to?).

He now has a normal blink response - yesterday if you waved your hand in his face there was no response now he blinks and moves his head away. And he managed to have  a wee skippy gallop  :thumbsup:

So hopefully, he's on the mend - at least enough to be viable. After all, he doesn't have to perform brain surgery.

I've loads of photos on my phone but have no idea how to get them from there to here but I will post a few pics later.

Really appreciate all the positive vibes  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 09:52:16 am »
Thats really good news Rosemary. Lets hope he continues in leaps and bounds.  :thumbsup:  for Charlie
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 10:57:52 am »
Sounds fine, he's probably over the worst bit now - wee skippy gallop is good - he'll be playing with his new herd sister before you know it.

It's amazing how obsessed we can get over them - pouring over small piles of poo, watching for a good stream of wee, making sure their ears are warm (for the earlier calves), checking for a full belly - the list is endless. The there's the Mum checks...

Hope you have a more relaxing day today and enjoy the glorious sunshine.

Sue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 11:04:44 am »
That does sound good  :thumbsup: Hopefully he's just been a slow starter - the blink response now sounds very positive.

Yes, he doesn't have to be able to do quadratic equations, as long as he's ok, bless him  :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 01:56:22 pm »
Weeing and nice yellow poo -  :thumbsup: Charlie.  Well done Rosemary  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 08:30:46 pm »
Little bugger kicked me tonight. I was moving them into a fresh paddock; all moved but Charlie. Blizz and I found him laid up under the trees - usual routine, got him up, he had a feed, a looooong wee and a poo (he seems to go into a trance when weeing / pooing  ::) - is that a boy thing?). Then he took off down the field and I couldn't catch him!!! Then he kicked me - made contact too.

After all I've done for him  :innocent:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 08:43:34 pm »
Talk about ungrateful - still I guess you'll get the ultimate revenge in about 30 months   :innocent:

So glad he's getting on, I'm sure it's a great relief.

Sue

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 09:46:47 pm »
Sounds like he has turned the corner thank goodness, worrying 48 hrs, bet they will be racing round the field together very soon. It's great when you have two youngsters born close together and they tear around the field  like little hooligans in the playground.  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 10:01:11 pm »
so do you think he was a slow starter or had a difficult birth?
i lost a goat who wouldnt suckle and i never had a stomach tube. also had a worrying time when a foal couldnt find the teat and the mare wouldnt let me close enough to help, she was getting really weak but luckily was fine in the end. its scary at the time tho.
good luck to charlie

HappyHippy

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 08:34:33 am »
So glad he's doing better  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:07 am »
so do you think he was a slow starter or had a difficult birth?

I don't know and I don't suppose I ever will. He's quite big for a Shetland but not huge in any breed terms and Shetlands have a good reputation for easy calving. From posts on here, bulls seem to be slower to get going, although that wasn't the case for us last year.

I don't know - with only two calves last year and two this, I don't have a wide experience to call on. Just thankful that he seems to be OK and that I'll have more experience to call on next year.

I was dreadfully worried about Breeze in particular coming out of the winter because I thought she was very thin, but her calf seems fine, better than fine actually  :love: and she has plenty millk.

We didn't plan to calve as late as this, but this year it's turned out fine as there's now lots of grass for the cows and they look really well. If they had calved in April as I planned there would have been very little grass for them at a time when they needed it.

Such is smallholding, I suppose  :)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:10 pm »
How's Charlie today? - hope he's still doing well.

Sue

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
Hope he is doing OK...all males go into a trace while peeing!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:25 am »
How's Charlie today? - hope he's still doing well.
Sue

Charlie update - he seems perfectly normal now. He's feeding well and careering around the field. The mums haven't let Bonny and him play together yet but Annie gets in on the act and she's quite rough with her wee bro, but he's quick at getting out of the way now  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:23 am »
That's really good to hear  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS