Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir north Wales  (Read 5725 times)

Rhys Jones

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Rhydyclafdy, Pwllheli
Abattoir north Wales
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:43 am »
I will be sending my first ever lot of pigs to slaughter in a month or so! My question is, which abattoir in the north Wales area should I use? I've been hearing stories about certain ones that you don't get back what you take there >:( unforgivable in my opinion!!

Your help and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Rhys

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Abattoir north Wales
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:55:31 am »
I can't speak highly enough about the one in Denbigh. Its totally the opposite as far as the one near Corwen is concerned.

Rhys Jones

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Rhydyclafdy, Pwllheli
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:05:19 am »
Hi OTG, is it D&J Thomas in Rhosllanerchgrugog, that you take you animals? There are a couple in the area but not sure which is the best one!

Rhys

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »
We use J.Williams in Denbigh. It's an old fashioned place like there used to be in every town once. They've always been very helpful and we've never had any problems.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »
The one that hughsey uses is the one that i use. They're very good indeed.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:19:27 am »
I again can vouch for Denbigh every time I use them always go out there way to make the experience good

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »
And I had a great experience at Corwen - Straight in, clean pens with straw, no distress and killed within 5 mins of arrival.  We definitely got the right ones back cause there was the odd saddleback hair left on!  Our Bala butcher picked up and all in all very happy.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 07:27:07 pm »
Ours are going in the morning to Cyril Jones, Wrexham.  This will be the third time we use them, they've been most helpful with our first two lots.  (Despite a 2 hour journey, there's nowhere else closer to us) :(

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:02:12 am »
Denbigh is a lot closer to Anglesey than Wrexham. Is there a reason you don't use that particular abattoir?

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »
Hughesy, we find Cyril easier.  They slaughter, then the carcasses are delivered to our local butcher in Valley, who does everything as we request.  All labelled and packed in small family size portions (now that the kids have flown the nest we don't need large joints etc).  Hubby works away every other week too, so it means we just have to make the one trip to deliver, the rest is local so I can just fetch when ready, regardless of whether he's home or away.  It's what works out best for our personal situation ;)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 12:19:49 pm »
I would be interested in updates from anyone who has used either Corwen or Denbigh abattoirs more recently?

Our first pair of weaners will be ready to go in a couple of weeks and I feel a bit lost as a first timer.
I have spoken to both of them, but can't quite make up my mind which one seemed more helpful, or more caring. Corwen apparently now offers a cutting service - has anyone used this? (I don't think they do sausages, so if I go with them I might still have my local butcher do the cutting, and the sausages.)

(Sorry for reviving an old thread but seems a better idea to get this updated rather than starting a new one.)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS