Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Glad to be British  (Read 2088 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Glad to be British
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:27 pm »

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
Re: Glad to be British
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »
I know I couldn't be without my dogs (or any of my other pets) but guess that was the way I was brought up.
Strange to think of a place without dogs until I think of my school crossing, several of the children are of the Muslim faith and have been brought up to regard the dog as unclean. They are very worried and scared of the few family dogs that are walked along to school with other children so much so that they won't always cross at the same time.
On balance though I will say that the consideration shown by the Muslim children in many other aspects leaves the British children standing , life is all about swings and roundabouts ,seeing different points of view and being tolerant where possible.
However I am not thinking of moving to Iran.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:35:37 pm »
I remember some of my muslim friends not likeing dogs around,  its all about culture, bit like I would not eat some animals  but some cultures would  (snake yukkkkkkk)
I have a few people on my FB from all around the world, the common link is Labradors, its wonderful how a dog and other pets, bond us as humans....shame some people miss out :wave:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:36:42 pm »
I suppose different cultures and countries have different views on things.

My American friend came to stay, and out in the car on her first day, she asked why there were so many dogs being walked along the roads (we are in a rural area) and even in town.  I was a bit puzzled, after all, thats what we DO, isn't it?  She explained that where she is, you rarely see a dog walking along with its owner!!!  This lady has dogs, but has her own fields to run them on.  This left me wondering about people who live in towns - what do they do if they do not walk them in the street?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:43:42 pm »
when we lived in australia, the majority of dogs lived outside, and there was a council rule that no more than 2 dogs per house plot.
when we lived in ireland, there were loads of day-time strays that were let out on their own during the day while their owners were working.
i guess it just culture.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:47:42 pm »
I didn't realise that Muslims consider dogs to be unclean but it does explain something. When I had my tutoring business, a couple of times I had students who only came the once and clearly weren't happy that we had dogs. I assumed they were just scared of dogs but maybe it wa  the cultural issue.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 07:00:47 pm »
Just could not be without dogs in my life.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS