Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need a Rant!!!  (Read 2595 times)

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
Need a Rant!!!
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:57:23 pm »
Hi everyone!
I need to have a rant today !  I was out cleaning our field as rain is due later today and was on the one but last barrow!!  Animals were all still in fortunately!  Suddenly I realised our neighbouring farmer had just had his spaying machine mended and was starting down our boundary full spray with no warning!!! The wind was blowing from the east.  I went inside but it was still strong outside and blowing in our direction!
I am sure it cant be good for our health - I was pleased that nothing had been let out.  Does anyone know whether there are any regulations re spraying!  I have every sympathy for the farmers especially after the winter we have had but this is not the first time spraying has been blown towards the house.
Feel better now any advice appreciated!!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Need a Rant!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:11:19 pm »
There are regulations as to how far from a residential property spraying can take place and also about spraying before heavy rain forecast etc.  Take a look on the Environment Agency website for more details or just type manure spreading regs on Google.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:16:37 pm »
Also spraying should only take place at wind speeds of less than six mph I believe, which is very little.

It would be respectful of your neighbour to let you know he or his contractor is about to spray.  We are lucky that ours does, although if the wind speed increases halfway through the job then he has to finish anyway.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
    • Homes4Hens Glasgow Collection Point
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:30:45 pm »
I would have thought if nothing else it would have been good manners to let you know they intended to spray their fields. Very thoughtless of your of your neighbour and I don't think I would have been very happy either so quite agree with you for wanting a rant  :thumbsup:

Eck

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:35:13 pm »
Only you know your neighbour and what your current relation ship with them is,I would recommend a gently gently approach, ask him if he would mind letting you know next time he sprays as it effected you.  He shouldn't allow drift onto your property is the bottom line.  He should have proper training, do you think he has ? Look at the hse website, agriculture spraying,  and read the code of practice on there. 

But...try desperately to keep it friendly, falling out with neighbours can be a miserable experience. And farmers in particular can make life very unpleasant whilst staying within the law. 

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:13 pm »
Hi everyone - thank you for the advice going to do some research after your advice.
I slept for ages yesterday evening and through the night and today had a migraine -  one of my friends thought it could be the spraying although I dont want to put it down to that but I dont normally sleep for ages or get full blown migraines with flashing lights.
Think we need to sort out the situation - does anyone know what they spray barley with this time of year.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:02:29 pm »

I got good advice from BASIS the professional body for pesticide sprayers.  They take a VERY dim view of spray drift because it not good for their industry.  The chap I spoke to also had a contact at the environment agency incase I needed to take the issue further.

http://www.basis-reg.com/default.aspx

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:52:08 pm »
A few years ago my neighbour sprayed his barley on a windy day. I had a mare and foal in the field next to his. The spray went all over our paddock, over me and as far as our garden. My Shetland mare was very ill as was I. Did my neighbour say sorry. Did he heck. I hassled him to pay my vet bills and in the end he through a cheque at my OH and said he did not want to hear another word on the matter. I often wonder if this is why I ended up with cancer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS