Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mystery gosling  (Read 2068 times)

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
mystery gosling
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »
Hi does anyone know what kind of goose this may be?  We bought the eggs from a butchers shop and hatched them in the incubator. i thought it might be a Toulouse but they seem to have orange bills. the one at the back is an Embden. grateful for your thoughts!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: mystery gosling
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:37:35 pm »
I can't make the picture go any bigger than thumbnail but my guess would be Toulouse or. Toulouse Embden cross, our cross goslings of those breeds vary in shade but some are very similar to that colour.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:57:19 am »
Hi,as per the above post the picture is to small to see,from what I can see from the picture it looks to same colour as my embdens.
Below are some pics of my embdens.These are all day olds.

Graham.

Graham.

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »
Thanks, I don't think it is an Embden as it is starting to develop grey feathers in its tail. It might be a cross breed though. I love your pictures by the way, your goslings are super cute.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13:25 pm »
I do like the goslings...but I don't like (live) geese. My 'land enten' (big alysbury type) are almost as big BUT so much more liveable with.

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
Here is our mystery goose now along with some young embdens.

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »
Love your grey goosie!

I had a grey one hatch last year and again this year from supposedly Embden and Toulouse parents - I was too stupid to know better when I bought the parents as goslings with some grey featehers, but I've had some lovely offspring that look more convincing than the parents. They are possibly Toulouse but I also have a couple that look like Pilgrims IMO having seen some on telly once! 

One thing I won't be doing next year is letting the parents keep their babies, bloody useless! One pair in particular have allowed their babies to be crushed, and I've lost the majority of the hatch, I kept telling them to be more careful and hoping the young ones were now big enough to be safe but no!

It's back to the incubator and the bath tub for next year!
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS