Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some new additions to the soap range  (Read 9232 times)

HappyHippy

Some new additions to the soap range
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:05 pm »
Here are some of my latest creations  :excited:

The shaving soaps are 'Hairy Highlander' and 'Bristly Thistle'.

I've just poured a loaf of 'herbal tea soap' and tomorrow will hopefully be making some 'Cafe Latte Soap' to go with the Strawberry jam and caramel cheesecake ones - I've been asked to supply to a local cafe/craft shop so thought a gourmet range might fit the bill  :thumbsup:

The nettle and chamomile ones are for 'problem' skins - the nettle has tea tree & eucalyptus in it too, this helps with greasy/spotty skin and the chamomile & calendula is great for dry/weather beaten skin.

I'm in the middle of setting up a new 'soap shop' website, it should be ready about the same time as these current batches are cured (around 6 weeks) so I'll keep you posted  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Some new additions to the soap range
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »
They look good enough to eat  :thumbsup:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:04:47 pm »
The shaving soaps look fab. If I shaved I'd buy some!  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:08 pm »
They look good enough to eat  :thumbsup:
My thoughts exactly.  Love the sound of the strawberry jam and caramel cheesecake  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:01:22 pm »
The shaving soaps look fab. If I shaved I'd buy some
??? , even I shave Dan, and I am a Lady :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:11:05 pm »
Karen, where on earth do you find the time to make soap?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 07:40:30 pm »
Nice one, Missis!! Love the colour nettle gives to soaps!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:23 pm »
good luck on your soap website, i certainly will have a look.! me and carl are going to make some goat soap ourselfs!
we just aqquired a "milky bar" soap recipe!
happy soapmaking xxxx
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:54:26 am »
I'm glad you found one, Heidi. Sorry I couldn't share my Milky baaa recipe when Carl asked for it but its a trade name and recipe and I spent a long time formulating it  :)   Have fun playing with soap making  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:46:09 pm »
Guys your products are gorgeous!

I really loved making soap, have done CP and M&P and I was really keen to make some to sell but I could never get my head around all the regulations.

It seemed prohibitively expensive to have a recipe tested and it looked like every recipe had to be checked. Any suggestions?

Incidentally I have got round it by making doggy soaps to sell for a local rescue, no issues there and still fun!
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 01:00:25 pm »
It is expensive  ::) It cost me around £150 to get my lard soap recipe certified with all the possible fragrence oils and botanical bits & pieces and insurance is around £100 a year (mine's lumped in with the rest of the smallholding/product/public liability insurance) But it's worth it when you hear folk saying how nice it is and how it's good for/kind to their skin compared to shop bought, mass produced stuff. Plus, you know exactly what's in it  :innocent:

Try here http://www.cosmeticsafetyassessment.com that's who did mine  :thumbsup:

If you can get one basic recipe certified (with additions, this allows you to do different varieties of the same soap) and work away making and selling plenty it'll not be long before you can think about extending your recipe range  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 01:59:00 pm »
^^ what Karen says!   Scott is brilliant - he offers a comprehensive Safety assessment that will allow you to sell and vary your recipe within certain (fairly broad) parameters.   He's uber-busy right now as we have new EU legislations coming in and Scott is up to his neck updating our existing assessments ready for July.
I use Ian Wallace craft insurance and that's about £80 a year and covers me for soap, bath melts/bombs etc and candles too.
If you find a specific forum for soapmaking you will find lots of advice about labelling too as we have to use INCI names (eg saponified coconut oil being sodium cocoate ) and you can't get away with just sticking 'goats milk or olive oil...on a label. I think the labels are where people tend to trip up and its not long before Trading Standards do get to hear about those not fully complying  :(

good luck! do go for it!! x

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:23 pm »
looks good :) :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:28 pm »
I have thought about having a go as I have so much goat's milk atm but it seems a lot of hassle even if I just make it for myself.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:58:35 am »
It's fairly involved Lesley, but soooooooo worth it  ;D Once you've tried it you'll want to repeat the process  ;) :innocent:

If you can follow a recipe you'll be fine   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS