Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cows go astray!  (Read 1818 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
cows go astray!
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:03:50 am »
Our young cows went for a little walk testerday :o 2.5 miles later they stopped. The farmer next to us phoned up to say they were in his 50 acre barley field.
They had found the only hole we had patched in the fence and i guess just pushed on through. They are the most frustrating animals because they are in grass upto their knees! but being young and full of fun, off for a little jaunt they went.
They crossed a set aside field, a rape field and a partially ploughed field residing in the spring barley field right by the road. any further and they could have swum the Solent and visited the isle of Wight ::)
So last night me, hubby and son walked the 2+ miles to fetch them back, to be fair they drove back very well with only a couple of breakaways. It reminded me of a program i saw once about how they used to walk the stock to markets in the old days. You have to just walk calmly along with them and enjoy the countryside.
Saw loads of birds and skylarks were singing away, so much for farming killing off all the birds!
Have to say i was knackered when i got home and i do wonder why i'm not a size 10 :-J

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: cows go astray!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:13:25 am »
An interesting evening  ;D  Was the farmer ok about them being in his field?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:19 am »
oops but know what you mean we have 25 young heifers, real babies and they absolutely torture my pigs and me, so full of mischief and curiosity. One of their favourite pastimes is watching us eat our dinner thro the conservatory glass by peering over the hedge and mooing or rattling the cow chains on the gate for attention. They don't half keep walkers off our paths ;D  so thats a bonus.
Glad you got them back all safe.
mandy :pig:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:01:14 am »
An interesting evening  ;D  Was the farmer ok about them being in his field?

Yes the farmers a friend of ours. He found it quite amusing and did offer a barn for the night but we just wanted them home, you know what it's like with your own stock, we like to know they are all safe.
Mandy, i don't know if yours are the same but we have a Hereford heifer who is the ring leader she led them all home last night and i think she's the trouble maker of the group. "Let's go for a walk girls"!! and off they all go.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:33:56 am »
Yes Number 884 is our ring leader, she loves a head scratch but worse is when she trys to lick me with her sandpaper tongue...YUK :P . She's defo the cheekiest.
mandy :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:19:30 pm »
 :love: :cow:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »
mine got out and over the river and walked up the old railway line. one joined a field of bullocks and the other waited in the ditch. highly embarrassing. so glad they were halter trained!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS