Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleece/spinning experts please  (Read 6673 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Fleece/spinning experts please
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:01:03 pm »
The spinning club that I go to every week is in the unusual position of having too much money  :) . We are having a trip out and also someone to give us some weaving and felting tuition but will still have too much money.
A suggestion has been made that we buy a couple of really nice fleece that we can divide up between us so that we all get the chance of working with it.
Anyone have a suggestion of what fleece we should get?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mariask

• Joined Feb 2013
Re: Fleece/spinning experts please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:37:47 pm »
Well, it depends on several things...

How many of there are you? If there are lots, you'll be wanting some big fleeces, rather than a couple of teeny Ouessants!
What do you want to do with the fleece? I mean... I know you want to spin it, but were you planning on dyeing it yourselves too? (Which would probably rule out most of the naturally darker fleeces) And would you be knitting with the yarn you produce? Or weaving with it? I'd recommend different fleeces, depending on what you're planning to make! Herdwicks would be no good if you wanted to knit socks with the resulting yarn. But if you're planning on weaving rugs from it, then it would be spot on.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »
If you could get hold of them, Scottish Milk sheep produce good, all-round white fleeces with a long staple and they are huge. I have no idea where you would find any though.

Another idea for using up surplus money is an outing to somewhere relevant.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:18:30 am »
How about a spinning wheel to be available for any new members to learn on?  :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:48:02 am »
We would probably all want to do different things with the fleece. Not everyone at the group spins, although most do. Then some weave and some knit/crochet and some peg loom. I think we would like fleece that doesn't have a dark natural colour so that people can choose to dye it if they wish.
We have a dyeing day coming up and the club already have their own dyes for everyone to use. There is already a club spinning wheel and a drum carder too. There was a club weaving loom but they have given that to me  ;D
As for days out we have a trip to a wollen mill arranged for Thursday this week with the coach paid for by the club and we still have money left over.
The money we have is from the weekly subs. We only pay £1 if we go each week, so its not expensive, and that is to cover the cost of the room we use. At £6 for 2 hours we always have plenty of money left over. There is a subscription to Yarn maker magazine too that comes out of the money but the rest soon mounts up. We could lower the subs but everyone seems to think that its reasonable to pay the £1. 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:44:42 pm »
I think £1 is very reasonable. My spinning group charges £3 a time or £19 for the year and that's for monthly meetings from 11am to 4pm.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:21:36 pm »
I have just had my girls shorn today - Gotland x Shetland in light to dark greys  ;D  They are fab for felting which is all I have tried with them but I have been told they would also be great for spinning.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:18 pm »
They sound like a good cross. Are you going to try spinning them?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »
I am trying to decide whether to have a try myself or send them away as I do so many other crafts I'm not sure I can take on another one  ;D  I will be selling some though as I have far too many.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:03:32 pm »
Ooh How much? And where are you?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:06:16 pm »
I'm Aberdeenshire so postage may be a bit steep.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:32:37 pm »
Gotland's lovely, so silky and pretty. And felts while it's sitting waiting for you to finish spinning a bobbin-full - ask me how I know!

Shetland, of course, is lovely. Spins nicely, will felt if you try to do it, but not so much when you don't want it to. Lovely to knit with, including lace, can be woven with too.

You can get white Shetland, which would take dyes easily but actually, one of the pale greys or browns might give a more interesting, sophisticated look, something a bit different?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 11:01:41 pm »
I'm Aberdeenshire so postage may be a bit steep.

I knew there'd be a snag. that's just a bit too far from Shropshire for me to collect.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »
MGM :wave: ,  My neighbour is going to Oswestry today and again next Friday.  If you would like some Shetland fleece I could ask him to drop it off for you - or collect from Oswestry.  PM me if interested. ;D Apologies for the hijack Bionic.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 02:23:03 pm »
Apologies for the hijack Bionic.

No problem

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS