Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New fleeces  (Read 12633 times)

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
Re: New fleeces
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 06:41:53 pm »
Sorry I am slow at answering but I am half way to England (Got as far as Denmark tonight)
I very rarely get further than shearing my fleeces. I have a group on Ravelry where many of the readers have adopted a sheep and they get a pound of the wool and 10% off other things in my web shop. The lady who has adopted that particular sheep was staying at my farm when I sheared. She had driven 500 kilometers and was going the next day to a spinning weekend in Lappland, another 500 kilometers. One lady had come from Finland (not so far as she could take the ferry. Now that is enthuiasm for you ;D
 Some of that fleece is a giveaway in another group for the tour de fleece competition. The rest will be washed and sold as hair for troll. My felting friends just cannot get enough of it.
 On Wednesday I will be in Bradford buying stash. Whoopee.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 06:49:59 pm »
Hi :wave: folks,
I've not dipped into crafts before as I'm always at the other, mucky end ::) .  But I have 30+ Shetland and shetland x ryeland fleeces now and I thought I would have a go at selling some next week at the Somerset Fleece Sale.  It depends how much VM I can pick out though.   I have no idea what to price them at.  I was going to wash some today as the weather is gorgeous and leave the rest raw.  Any tips please?

THe very best of luck with the sales :fc:
I don't know what it is like in England but in Sweden it is fairly easy to sell rare breeds. As to myself, I prefer to spin in the grease /Can't get enough of the mucky end ;D One of my friends in Denmark is shearing 200 Friesens this weekend so I will be taking some of it back North with me. Once I was stopped by customs and they demanded to see my load. I was reluctant because I knew it would pounce out at them when I opened the back door. THey interpreted my reluctance as having something to hide. So, I opened the door and out sprang about 200 kilos of greasy wool. At least thay had the decency to help me push it in again

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »
That I would have liked to see Renee.  :roflanim:

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 01:22:20 pm »
Hi Bramblecot

Apologies my post is a bit late, the fleece sale is today!!!

The main difference between Blackers/NFC and Halifax (and other mini mills) is that they will process smaller batches, down to the individual fleece so each colour can be separate. The Natural Fibre Company still have a minimum intake of 25kg, as Fleecewife said, and the whole lot would be processed together. That didn't appeal to me so I put myself on the waiting list for a mini mill, I'd like to keep all my shetland and alpaca colours separate, that was the whole point of buying all the different coloured animals!

It's pretty expensive to have fleeces spun into yarn and there's a long waiting list - they take the time to clean machinery between batches etc. It goes on weight sent in so the more rubbish wool and bits of vegetation you take out the better. Do you know where/how you'd sell the finished yarn? You don't have to have the fleeces spun into yarn, maybe get it made into batts or rovings for spinners and felters, sell it that way?

I hope you didn't go to too much trouble washing fleeces, they're delicate and you need to be careful you don't end up with a lump of felt! I'd have said let the people buying the raw fleeces deal with it as they want. I often use raw fleece in felting or rugs if I can't be bothered washing it! In theory the more bits you can get out the more you should get for it but it may not be worth your time?

I have no idea about prices, be interested to know what you managed today? Did you make lots of contacts for future sales and get some ideas from the crafty lot?

If you have fleeces left over you might get a better price if you can hold onto them, there's obviously a lot available right now, perhaps when they're scarcer advertise at the guild or on fleabay?

:)
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 02:56:23 pm »
I may have asked this before - would anybody have a good use for short stuff, i.e. belly, faces etc?

And does anybody think there may be a market for merino wool for hobby spinners, and would be the price one would expect to be paid? I know the wool is very good; I gave half a fleece to an accomplished spinner once, and she spun it straight from the fleece, in the grease, and was very impressed.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 12:16:18 pm »
Have started a new post Fleece Sales ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 10:47:38 pm »
I paid £25 for my merino fleece at Wonderwool and I think that was about right - at least, I hope it was.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS