Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New fleeces  (Read 12635 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
New fleeces
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:11 pm »
Just picked out six suffolk/texel fleeces from my friendly farmer who sells me hay and straw.  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: I don't know what he's going to charge me as he's got to wait to get his cheque for the rest but I think it will probably be what he gets or a little bit more. Going to be a good price anyway.

I'm now wondering is six is going to be enough. I can have as many as I want but I already have about six in the loft. Decisions, decisions.  :thinking: :thinking:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: New fleeces
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:31 pm »
I've never managed to spin more than 12 fleeces in a year. 

If I sent them off to be scoured and carded I would get through more.  In fact I'm contemplating sending the tup fleeces from our shearing this year (took them off this afternoon) for scouring and carding because they stink a bit 'tuppy' and I don't want any of the floor rugs I intend to weave to go on smelling of tup a couple of years down the line  ;D   I will need to research the best place to get it done.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:14:15 pm »
Is it very expensive to have it commercially done? Haivng said that, I have invested in a drum carder so ought to make full use of it. I've got OH ready to turn the handle for me.  ;D

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:46 am »

Blimey That's öööh (counting on fingers) one a month WELL DONE

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »

Blimey That's öööh (counting on fingers) one a month WELL DONE

You've got a lot of fingers.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:51 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Mind you, I did go to school with a boy who had 12 toes!
The problem was inherited from his mother and , 6 children, every other was born with 12 toes.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:27:47 pm »
I'm intending sending mine off this year, as I am not processing 27 Shetland fleeces. Happy to try spinning many of them but carding them all - no way!

I will use Halifax mill in Selby I think. They assure me they will do one fleece at a time, if necessary, to keep the colours separate. I should have at least 8 different colours.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:29:37 pm by jaykay »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:42:59 pm »
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Mind you, I did go to school with a boy who had 12 toes!
The problem was inherited from his mother and , 6 children, every other was born with 12 toes.

Anne Boleyn had extra fingers.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:59:26 am »
I didn't know that. I am surprised the poor woman wasn't accused of being a which

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 03:36:33 pm »
She probably would have been if she'd been a poor person. She always wore sleeves that came down in a point to hide her hands. I don't know if the extras were functioning fingers or just extra bits that grew but didn't do anything but think, from what I've read, it that the latter is more likely. there were also rumours that she had three breasts but one is likely to have been a largre mole, of which she seemed to have had plenty.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:34 pm »
I love learning silly useless things like that. Thankyou and sorry for the off topic.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 10:45:35 pm »
Oh yes, I started this about fleeces, didn't I?  :roflanim:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 08:25:51 pm »
O.K. Back onto the straight and narrow. I sheared this wensleydale/Jacob x yesterday
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:40:51 am by renee »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »
Now that does look like a nice fleece. I'd love to try some Wensleydale one day.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »
Looks beautiful renee!  Do you have a plan for it?

We've clipped some of my fleece sheep and all bar three of the commercial hoggs so far.  The hogg fleeces were, after last year, rather a disappointment.  :(  Nothing like as delicious as last year's.  I am assuming it's the long wet winter and cold wet spring, and am very disappointed. :(

The fleeces from the Manxes are beautifully, sumptuously soft - but apart from a very few parts, all less than 1" staple.  :(  I'll spin the bits I can, and hang onto the rest pending learning some needlefelting or other technique I can use - it's way too soft to just chuck out!   :fc: it's just that they were clipped late last year, before I bought them, and they'll have a bit more length next year.

The fleece from Buffy, the Shetland with a dash of BFL is, as expected, crimpy, soft and with a good staple.  Maybe not quite as soft as I'd hoped, and certainly quite variable across the fleece, but a lovely soft toffee colour and I will enjoy using it.

Sadie, the 3/4 Shetland 1/4 Castlemilk Moorit, is a wanderer, and before they were moved to their current paddock had wandered at will around the farmstead.  I knew she was getting a lot of hay and chaffy stuff in her neck and back wool, but as I expected her mainly black wool to be pretty coarse compared to Buffy's, I'd not worried about it, thinking I'd not mind chucking any that was too heavily impregnated with VM to be bothered with.  Some of her fleece is quite coarse - but some of it is gorgeous!  So so fine, incredibly crimpy - oh my goodness.  So now of course I regret letting her play in the haystacks...  ::) ::)

The CMs weren't quite ready to clip yet; they look to have a better staple length than the Manxes and than the CM wethers from last year - so  :fc: I'll finally get some sumptuous rare breed fleece I can actually spin!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS