Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some trees coming down... Any use as firewood?  (Read 7125 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Some trees coming down... Any use as firewood?
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:31:34 pm »
I'm taking some rather out-of-control conifers from around one of my outbuildings as I'm worried they'll do some damage not only to the roof but the foundations too.
I've had mixed reports of using this as firewood. Some say its OK and smells great, others warn of the resin coating the chimney and a risk of chimney fires...
Can anyone clear this up for me?

rustyme

Re: Some trees coming down... Any use as firewood?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:41:53 am »
yes ..it does smell nice, some of it spits a bit so be careful if it is an open fire!!!  The resin thing is really a creosote problem . They will leave a layer of it on the chimney , this is only a real problem if you use lots and lots of it .... if you mix it with other stuff you will be ok . Just check often if you use lots....take care ....  Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:30:02 pm »
try to supplment it cause if you are using a coal fire then the heat from the wood can some time get 'to hot' and cause the chimney  to caught fire, (then to stop put water down to put the fire out and it can crack the fume/and material that the fire is made out of.

Linz  (the one who's parent did the above)

Ray

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 08:46:29 pm »
Make sur you season it before use. It dries out best through cut ends with a through flow of air. So just cut your logs into fire sized lengths, stack it and cover the top so that the sides are open to allow the air flow, and in 18 months or so you will have some good heat.

Ray

Bog Spavin

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Nr Malton, North Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:17 pm »
We chopped a load down on our own land which we have seasoned for two years, it will be burned this winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS