Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearer is coming tomorrow evening - how do I bundle up the fleece?  (Read 4379 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
The subject line probably says it all.  Once they have been shorn I want to know the proper way of rolling the fleece up. I think that ultimately you tie it with the neck wool but I'm not sure what happens before that.
I can't find anything on u-tube although have probably been searching incorrectly.

Anyone got a good link?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Shearer is coming tomorrow evening - how do I bundle up the fleece?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:06:35 pm »
Thanks badgerface. Why didn't I think of looking at the Wool marketing board? Doh.......

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:07:58 pm »
You're rot Bionic - I searched a bit too and nothing came up under the usual terms. How odd. Glad you got yr link though. We are going to do ours soon.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
If you're sending them to the Wool Board then yes, wrap them as shown.

If you're keeping any for handspinning, you may want to amend the process slightly.  If you can manage it, skirt them thoroughly first, then wrap as for Wool Board but not so tightly.  Fleecewife has written up somewhere that if you can let the fleeces air stretched out flat for a while before wrapping, that's helpful.  Ideally, don't stretch and distort the neck wool - and you may prefer to not make a hole in the fleece to tuck the neck wool in, but simply hold the fleece together while you put it in its paper, cotton or polyprop sack and tie the neck of the sack (or pillowcase.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:53:09 am »
Thanks Sally, yes as you have guessed they are definitely NOT going to the wool board.  I have my poly sacks ready for use.
I can stretch them out in the stable for a bit bit will skirt them before I wrap them.

LadyEarth

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:18:38 pm »
I have just had my few sheep shorn and have the fleeces to wrap so this is a very timely post  :thumbsup: not sure what to do with them now though... I don't spin or anything myself.  Who will buy them?  I have 4 mongrel (pet lamb) fleeces and 5 Portland fleeces.  Any tips?

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:34:17 pm »
Freecycle? or Ebay for the Portland ones? Quite unusual!

Maybe local SWD Guild?
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 05:14:19 pm »
I folded mine as per the instructions on the WMB website and when I took one to the spinning group with me someons said "oh its so nice to see a fleece folded properly".
I felt quite chuffed  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:16:39 pm »
Portland can be really nice for handspinning - do you have a spinning group or Guild near you, LadyEarth?

The pet lamb fleeces are less likely to be very interesting.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LadyEarth

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
No clue about a spinning guild ??? Will google...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 07:02:21 pm »
No clue about a spinning guild ??? Will google...
Affiliated Guilds are listed here.  Non-affiliated Guilds, and local spinning groups, may be listed on Ravelry here for regular meetings or here for special events.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 07:53:41 pm »
Ladyearth,  If you are anywhere near Somerset there is a fleece sale tomorrow at Hatch Beauchamp.    I am taking mine there for the first time :fc: .  The fleeces have to be rolled, weighed and priced ::) .  Other groups may have sales in your area.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS