Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommendations for a candling torch  (Read 5846 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: Recommendations for a candling torch
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 09:39:52 am »
Hi I use one of these they are extremely powerful.You can see through most things with it.

Sometimes I wonder if it's at all damaging to their eyes to be completely transfixed by light as it were. I guess not. Still, must be an odd experience for the chick, lol.

Yes if you candle at certain critical points you can damage the eyesight and get blind or nearly blind birds.  It doesn't happen often but it can.  Just don't over candle.  I normally only bother if I am short of incubator or hatcher space.  If its close to hatch the float test is good, but I don't generally use it for Marans eggs as they are always drowning in shell anyway without adding extra moisture by soaking them :'(

Been using it for two or three years and haven't had a blind one yet so I think thats pretty unlikely.

Graham.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:42:09 am by graham-j »
Graham.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 09:54:59 am »
Our candling torch is a Samsung Galaxy s2. It's fab!

Helen

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »
Well - we successfully candled the eggs on Saturday. They have been under the hen for seven days and they all had something in them although they were at slightly different stages of development........ but only slightly.

I was wanting to candle them again this weekend. Will that be too much candling do you think?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 10:39:25 pm »
we got a candler from ascott and its good, but it does get really hot so be careful.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 11:26:52 pm »
Hi,thats another big benefit of the LED they don't get hot at all.

I don't think candling them again will harm them,but I usually only candle mine once or maybe twice.On day nine there is no mistaking then weather or not an egg is fertile,I then throw out all the clear ones.
I sometimes candle again on day 18.
I didn't used to candle at all until I had a bad goose egg explode in the incy,what a mess.

Graham.
Graham.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 12:23:24 am »
I've candled loads in some cases - don''t think it does any harm unless the light heats them - it's just fascinating. I find the duck eggs much easier but then you can see them moving away from the light, you can chase them round the egg with the light (well nearly). Mind you, maybe that's why they still run away from me even though they've been hand reared!

Unborn babies also respond to bright lights shone from outside your tummy - and that doesn't blind them either. Skin and egg shell are both good forms of protection.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS