Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Liquid Wormer  (Read 7124 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Liquid Wormer
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:28:42 am »
Could anyone recommend a liquid wormer for hens please?  I usually use the powder wormer, but concerned that some of my hens are not getting enough.  I am looking for something I can give each bird individually if possible - either tablet form (as you can with racing pigeons) or in liquid form via a pipette.  I have looked on Google but Verm-X seems the only option and I didn't think this actually claims to kill worms/keep them at bay?  Thanks for any help!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Liquid Wormer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:56:27 am »
Someone will be along in a minute to advise using various products designed for other animals. However Marriages layer's pellets with flubenvet added is the best way to ensure all your birds get their dose. Yous simply use it instead of their normal feed for a week. Flubenvet is the only wormer that's licenced for poultry use in the UK. You're right about vermex it's cleverly marketed snake oil.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:31:13 am »
100% agree on both counts.  Marriages pellets with flubenvet in it ensures every bird gets dosed, and VermX is a con.  I can verify how bad a con from worm counts done on a pony that had been treated with it twice while others were given standard wormers.  They came back under 200 eggs per gram, most less than 50 eggs seen, some with none seen at all, she was 2600 epg on the same grazing, same period  >:(
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:49:47 am »
I can verify how bad a con from worm counts done on a pony that had been treated with it twice while others were given standard wormers.  They came back under 200 eggs per gram, most less than 50 eggs seen, some with none seen at all, she was 2600 epg on the same grazing, same period  >:(

To be fair, I think the instuctions for VermX is that it has to be fed every month for a period rather than "treated" once or twice a year as you would do with a chemical wormer, although that might be what you mean.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:24 am »
Thanks - will try and source some of the Marriages pellets locally as the Countrywide store nearby do not stock.  I was kind of hoping that something along the lines of the Harkers pigeon wormer tablets might be available for hens but obviously not  :( 

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »
I've used Panacur 10% for my poultry. It's not licensed for use in poultry though. I've heard that some folks use racing pigeon wormer too.  I was always advised to rotate the types of wormers used on other livestock; sheep, cattle, horses etc as using the same type of wormer eventually builds up resistance. So why is there only one wormer licensed for use in poultry?
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:21:33 pm »
Having googled this I see that Australia have plenty of worming options for chickens, including an individual tablet that covers nearly all worm types.  Same thing is also available in gel or liquid form.  Wish we had the same choice here in the UK.  My sister lives in Australia, so might see if she can source some for me .... if she can get them in the mail past customs of course.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »
We used a pigeon worming tablet called Harkers I think -didn't work as chickens are much bigger I suppose. Vermex just discourages them and adding to water in warm weather is not advised as it discourages drinking as well. We mix flubenvet with Olive Oil and dose individually for 7 days allowing them to free range and have treats as normal -complicated to work out and fiddly as well. Your best option as already said is Marriages premix, which you can get mail order. No treats or free ranging for it to be effective though Zac -they must all get a full dose.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »
I can verify how bad a con from worm counts done on a pony that had been treated with it twice while others were given standard wormers.  They came back under 200 eggs per gram, most less than 50 eggs seen, some with none seen at all, she was 2600 epg on the same grazing, same period  >:(

To be fair, I think the instuctions for VermX is that it has to be fed every month for a period rather than "treated" once or twice a year as you would do with a chemical wormer, although that might be what you mean.

Sorry I should have been clearer, the VermX used was on a pony, over two worming periods as per dosage stated (it was 5 consecutive days of pellets per one single tube wormer equivalent) and redone at equine worming interval so 10 days in all over just under 10 weeks and the worm burden at that point was too high and risky to leave any longer as it was a breeding mare and the worms would go into the foal.  So on veterinary and lab advice I dosed her with proper wormer, complained to the company with evidence from Westgate Labs on comparable animals. 

I note they no longer claim to treat worms but only to help assist in digestive balance or some such rubbish.  Clinically it doesn't work and they've been forced to remove the claims by trading standards or some such, I am told.

I've never tried it on hens and never will, the gist of my earlier post.  Sorry for any misunderstanding, I'm not that clear headed sometimes :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:52:02 pm »
We used a pigeon worming tablet called Harkers I think -didn't work as chickens are much bigger I suppose. Vermex just discourages them and adding to water in warm weather is not advised as it discourages drinking as well. We mix flubenvet with Olive Oil and dose individually for 7 days allowing them to free range and have treats as normal -complicated to work out and fiddly as well. Your best option as already said is Marriages premix, which you can get mail order. No treats or free ranging for it to be effective though Zac -they must all get a full dose.

How can you possibly work out the dosage give to a bird this way.Flubenvet is designed to be feed continuously over a 24/7 period.The dosage varies on the amount of food a bird consumes not the size of the bird.

Graham.
Graham.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 12:13:16 am »
I've used both Flubenvet in Marriages and Panacur. I did have some sick chickens that were tested for worms and had a big worm burden not long after they'd moved onto fresh ground and been treated with the Flubenvet (but were also ill so immune system was not functioning as it should). It did make me worry that it's very hard to check how much each bird actually gets of the Flubenvet.

I've used the Panacur on broodies and you can be sure of the dose which is great. BUT you do have to dose them every day for three consecutive days which is fine when you've got a sitting target but I can't imagine trying to pin down a big, free-ranging flock every day for that (I have a small flock but even then I have no idea how I'd fool the cockerel into capture every day!).

So pros and cons to both....

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:05 am »
Hi Graham. A large fowl hen consumes 100 -150g of feed a day. Equates to 1 Kg in a 7 day period so the Flubenvet dosage is worked out on that basis with 7 shots of Olive oil and flubenvet mix for each bird. Yes it can be done and does work but is fiddly because the mix has to be stirred constantly. The shot has to be well down the throat to avoid it getting into the airways. Can't get premix over here unfortunately.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS