Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sycamore tree  (Read 4784 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Sycamore tree
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:41:55 pm »
Anyone know if I can feed it to the goats? I have 1 that needs a good trim :tree:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Sycamore tree
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 09:34:58 pm »
I was always told not to let them have too much because of the high sugar content of sycamore and the possibility of bloat  :-\
If ours get out into the big field they go mad for it and touch wood never had any ill effect from it
Graham

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »
I do feed sycamore to the goats, but I try to not to feed it after July. The leaves go spotted and very fibrous, and just don't look very nice. But I've fed it many times, and it's always been fine.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:19:41 pm »
Same here. Mine love it.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:40:11 pm »
Yes, but not too much at a time, it's sugary and can cause bloat if they eat too much at once.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:01:23 am »
mine help themselves

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
I give mine some when I can.  If I had a tree to trim I'd do it gradually so they had some fresh to eat and strip the bark from every day or so.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:44 pm »
Hi folks, I have a branch that has fallen off in today's winds, however on inspection there are lots of black dots which I have googled...

...Tar spot is a leaf spot disease caused by the fungus Rhytisma acerinum. It is seen most commonly on sycamore, but can also affect a number of other acer species. The spots are unsightly, and the disease can cause slightly premature leaf fall. It has no long-term effect on the vigour of affected trees, however.

Can I still give to goats or not?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 03:10:49 pm »
This time of year my goats eat whenever the wind blows down from the tree, spotted leaf or not!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 06:32:02 am »
Mine like sycamore, not as much as hazel and willow.

I noticed a drop in milk for a few days when the dairy goats had lots so ration it but no other problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS