Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making old old galvanised trough safe for drinking  (Read 2132 times)

gogogarden

• Joined Sep 2012
Making old old galvanised trough safe for drinking
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:39:21 am »
Hi
I have got the use of an old (and large) galvanised water trough for my pigs.  It has been sat unused in the corner of a field for the last 6 years or so, full of very green and algae-full water.  I've emptied it out of as much muck as possible but a hard crust remains on the sides, presumably left by the past years of algae.  Does anyone have any experience/advice on bringing such troughs back into action.  Should I be concerned about the crust and any algae (potentially harmful?) left in it?  Any good techniques for clearing the crust without damaging the galvanising?
Thanks!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 06:35:47 pm »
Don't try to scrape the gunk off of the sides when it is dry ! Refill with water and allow the gunk to soak and soften , then clean off with i stiff brush , but not a wire brush ! A scrubbing brush , plastic or bristle , should do the job .
Don't use anything like washing up liquid in the water if animals can get at the water to drink .
Just allow the hard crust to soak and soften and then plenty of elbow grease should do the job .

gogogarden

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Making old old galvanised trough safe for drinking
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:09 am »
Thanks for the advice Rustyme and fifix.  The trough is now soaking but I think it's going to take one heck of a lot of elbow grease: it'll be good for my biceps.  I like the goldfish idea too - we already have them in the water tanks in our veg garden and they do a great job eating the midge larvae.  Sadly these might be our last pigs for a while as we have to move and pigs might not be compatible with our new neighbours, so I won't be goldfish-ing the trough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS