Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Felting  (Read 9366 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Felting
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 09:13:11 am »
I've done quite a bit of wet felting in recent years, scarves, bags, hats, slippers, felt vessels, various containers for specific items, phone holder.. It's great fun - I tend to use bubble wrap and a towel for most things but have borrowed a cane type bamboo blind for larger items and things that need extra strength.  I advertised on freecycle to try and get a couple for myself but no joy yet and my friend is happy to loan me hers when needed.

I keep trying to learn needle felting but am not sure I've the patience to do detailed work over a long period - may find out today at the friend's shops' 10th anniversary as they're doing demos and tasters.  It would be good to have something simple and repetitive to do while watching TV rather than have to set up the kitchen table and stand over it.. as long as I don't end up stabbing myself with a needle of course!

Felt welly liners sounds great - I've done slippers but am assuming you mean long leg like knee socks or even over the wellietop and turned over?  Details would be good FiB please  :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 09:16:41 am »
I'm booked onto our Guild's 'felted vessels' workshop now, and have to take some things along with me, including a bamboo mat and bubble wrap.  The tutor says she gets her bamboo mats in charity shops; she's not very computer savvy so probably won't try eBay. 

What size bubble wrap will I need?  I have some of the small bubble stuff and some with the larger bubbles - I'm guessing it'll be the smaller I want?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 09:25:48 am »
I use small bubble type, large may work for some folk but I've always used the small..

For size, it depends what size vessel you're making  ;)   You want space for that size plus the shrinkage allowance plus a decent margin, and obviously x2 pieces more or less the same size, but not so big you can't flip the piece over.  The vessel course I did we were using maybe a foot square or a little more but maybe if you're not sure just take a large sheet you can cut to the required size on the day?

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 11:02:11 am »
Thanks ellied.  :)  One of the other things we have to take is a balloon, so I'm guessing I'll need enough bubble wrap to cover the balloon... ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 09:19:55 pm »
Ooh that sounds interesting, Sally.

To those who know what they're doing, I've got a piece of that rubber non-slip mesh that stops plates sliding on trays. Would that do instead of bamboo?

The ladies who were doing the class at the farm park are prepared to do a class in my home, either wet or needle felting at £30 per person for the day, all materials provided. Does that sound reasonable? They usually charge £40 pp but arranged a special price of £20 pp for my spinning group. As I'm a member they will give my group the discount. I don't know if I can get enough people to get a class going here. If not, I may have to wait til they come to the spinning group but that won't be until the autumn. Not sure I can wait that long.  :excited:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 10:17:01 pm »
£30  for a days felting inc materials sounds brill - one of my fave ways to spend a day!  I never use a bamboo mat (mostly because I don't have one!!  But also one of the ladies I learnt from didn't either!) I just use bubble wrap - but even that isn't really necessary - when I do soap or pebble felting in the woods we just use soap and water (and a bit of net curtain if I remember).  My felt welly liners were only insoles - but they were VERY beautiful and VERY thick!!!  (but I like the idea of full welly liners!)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 10:24:54 pm »
I MUST come and see you and get ideas. Will PM.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:17 am »
I've just ordered polystyrene show lasts for making felted slippers.  Can't wait for them to arrive :excited: :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 10:23:08 am »
I decided to have a go at felting soaps, I have half cheated and bought a 'kit' from ebay....hoping to suss out what I'm doing so that when the singing shearer visits I'll know what to do with all these fleeces!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS