Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy Goats  (Read 10231 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Itchy Goats
« on: May 27, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »
Both my pygmys seem to be doing a lot of scratching on things at the moment, had a good look at them and can't see anything crawling,I did wonder about giving them a bath or is that really silly. Should I just treat them with something and if so what?
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Itchy Goats
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 06:38:51 pm »
No, not silly, especially if they have a longish coat. My GG's have quite flakey, dandruffy stuff in their coat, and a bath with "Head & Shoulders" (the one with conditioner in it), really clears it up.
However if you suspect lice - either Eprinex (for cattle - and quite expensive, also kills mange/heel mites) or Coopers Spot-on (for sheep, also quite expensive) will do the job.
If he skin is scabby then a Dectomax injection would kill the mites that are the same as scab in sheep, can't quite remember the name of that type of mite... Your vet should be able to give you a single shot of Dectomax already in the syringe. One shot should do it.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:46:59 pm »
My newly acquired boys are scratching too. The woman who brought them said they'd been de-loused recently and I can't see anything crawly.

My hands get very dirty stroking them so they could probably do with a bath, but I don't think I'll attempt that any time soon, that would destroy what little bit of trust is beginning to develop. After all, little boys of all persuasions are not known for their fondness of warm water and soap  :D

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:12:13 pm »
Mine were all itchy and having dustbaths. Dosed with spot on and they seem a bit better but is it normal for goats to roll around like dogs? My kids especially love rolling in the dirt (dry).

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:03:49 pm »
My GGs are due for a bath but it just hasn't been warm enough.  One in particular has flaky dandruff so I'll try the Head & Shoulders treatment!  They have been deloused and there isn't any evidence of creepy crawlies.  They are rubbing along fence/gate etc but I've realised that is to loosen their undercoat of cashmere - birds round here have nests lined with it. 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 10:08:02 pm »
Same with mine. I've been watching sparrows hopping around with beakfuls of white fluff.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:16:27 pm »
Get in the bath with them Anne, that way you can give them a really good scrub  :D

Maybe just their winter coats are off still being lost etc, my vet said it was fine to Frontline them which may help if you have any handy.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:33:19 am »
Get in the bath with them Anne, that way you can give them a really good scrub  :D

Maybe just their winter coats are off still being lost etc, my vet said it was fine to Frontline them which may help if you have any handy.
Much as I love them I don't think that I really want to share a bath with them. :goat: :love:
Anne

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 10:43:00 am »
If it's anything like bathing big woolly dogs - or the tup, by the time they've shaken umpteen times and soaked you, transferred all their mud onto you etc, you might as well have got into the bath with them  :D

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:53 am »
We noticed our pygmy scratching on things and started researching lice etc.  He lost a bit of his coat, which grew back and he is fine.

Would he be trying to get his winter coat out? He is fine now and doesn't have such a big coat.

Helen

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 11:44:03 am »
Yes, I always clean the shower when I'm having a shower, much easier.  :relief:

Helen, one of my 3 girls really shows when she is losing her winter coat - comes off in handfuls and she likes a good scratch and rub on all things, the other two don't show it nearly so well, shedding a bit more 'secretly' if you like.

I believe if you add garlic powder to their food then invaders are less likely to want to stay, like people though, they don't always like garlic in their food.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 04:10:48 pm »
Thanks Goosepimple. He must be the one to lose it in clumps!

Helen

Rhiannon

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:28:57 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new here and relatively new to goat keeping, having had mine for nearly a year now. 

I have this same problem.  My milking goat had a very sudden outbreak of lice and I also suspect mites too.  I've asked the vets and the local agricultural suppliers and the best they advised (after lots of umming and arring over no products being licensed) was dermoline insecticidal shampoo for horses which contains pyrethrum.  It worked, but they're not 100% clear and its very labour intensive. 

I'm interested in Eprinex, Frontline and Coopers which were mentioned earlier.  We drink the milk.  Are these safe for dairy goats?  What withdrawal would you recommend?  Any other suggestions welcomed.

I have had this same problem with wormers; nobody will recommend anything other than panacur and I'm worried that my goats are not getting an all round treatment.  Please can you help?

Many thanks in advance,
Rhiannon

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:29 am »
You can use most sheep products on goats using a 7 day withdrawal of milk from human consumption if there is no milk withdrawal time given. I use Eprinex (from vet) for heel mange, if you suspect sarcoptic mange you will need a Dectomax injection (same as sheep scab, vet should be able tto give you a syringe for single injection) and for lice I use Cooper Spot-on (sheep product). All work well. Dosage same as for sheep.

For wormers you will need higher doses than the sheep ones, please ask on here if/when you need to worm. But all sheep wormers can be used for goats too.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 07:55:48 am »
None of these products are licensed for goats of course.

Coopers spot on isn't recommended for milking sheep, and has a long withdrawal time (can't remember what at the mo, but I can check), but is fine for dairy cattle, and no milk withdrawal period for them! We have used it on a milker, and just not used the milk for us for a few days, and that's been fine. Eprinex as a cattle product, again doesn't have a withdrawal period for dairy cows, so should be fine.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS