Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much to pay for grazing  (Read 6017 times)

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
how much to pay for grazing
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:16:23 am »

:wave: hi everyone

we are looking for extra land for sheep, what should i expect to pay per acre, we are in Herefordshire.
we have seen a house to rent with 10 acres but think the price is too high but they are willing to negotiate. The fields are not completely stock fenced so would need repairs.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: how much to pay for grazing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:22:37 pm »
Going rate commercially round here is about 20p/head/week or £30/ac/yr in summer and half that in winter.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:18:20 pm »
We have just enquired about renting a field adjoining our land and the rent is £100 per acre for 11months of the year. This is in South Shropshire.

I think if you are renting a property with adjoining land then you might be looking at more of a premium for the rent. Hope you manage to negotiate a reasonable price

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »
£100 per acre

Sheesh, that's dairy territory then, surely... Around us in North Shrops seems to be 40p/h/w or £60ish/acre/yr

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »
Definitely not dairy territory shrophire-blue, its sheep/beef grazing at 1100ft and dock infested too!! Its just very convenient being next to our property, so guess the owner knows he can ask a bit more.  Have also been offered it to buy, but need to decide if that is too much too!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:18 pm »
Land adjoining your property is almost priceless ::) ::) .  I can't bring myself to tell you how much I paid for 1 acre by our house - but then I found ouat that another neighbour paid

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
Sorry, just posted by mistake...  our neighbour then paid TWICE that amount for his fields.  He will never have stock but wanted to keep a green 'border' around his property.  It is so much easier having somewhere at home for shearing/lambing/treating sick sheep - and just simply enjoying them ;D :sheep: ;D

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:05 pm »
Yes realise the convenience factor adds £££s to the value, although it is only convenient to us as we are not in a village situation. We also already have 40acres so it will be an additional 4 acres next to our land , rather than the first 4 acres land being purchased for the property.
Think I need to speak to some local rural estate agents..

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:13:03 am »
Yes realise the convenience factor adds £££s to the value, although it is only convenient to us as we are not in a village situation. We also already have 40acres so it will be an additional 4 acres next to our land , rather than the first 4 acres land being purchased for the property.
Think I need to speak to some local rural estate agents..

Being offered adjoining land is a great opportunity and one you will kick yourself for ever for missing if you don't buy it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS