Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Twin lambs wth contracted tendons?  (Read 2996 times)

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Blampied, Victoria, Australia
Twin lambs wth contracted tendons?
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:20 pm »
I have been absent for quite a while....Never enough hours in the day here!
I have read that this is something posted every now and again, but I need reassurance :-\
Had twins born yesterday, both ewe lambs and both (although one worse than the other) are unable to stand. One of them spreads herself out like a starfish, and is trying to get up but without success. The other has her front legs bent back at the shoulder, with the knuckle joint bent at an angle much like a pair of wings. They are both bright enough, and are managing to feed (with help) and are pretty vocal. I check on them every couple of hours and lift them up to Ewenice (mum!) to feed-sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Since she is covered in straw when I get to the stable, I think she lies down next to them so they can reach her udder. She's being very good. They are about 10 days prem, and are a good size, and it's not her first time lambing. So my question is, should I just keep doing what I'm doing (including massaging the joints), or call in the vet? There is no way to splint the one with 'wings' -the shoulder joints are rigid. Any advice?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Twin lambs wth contracted tendons?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:11:26 am »
call the vet I hate to say it but it sounds more like schmallenberg......
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Twin lambs wth contracted tendons?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:16:05 am »
No advice I'm afraid but  :fc: for your little lambs. Let us know what the vet thinks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS