Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loose droppings!  (Read 4179 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Loose droppings!
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:39:34 am »
I moved my sheep onto new lush pasture on Saturday and as I expected 1 of my ewes now has very loose droppings! I've given them hay and I've cleaned her up to prevent flies but just wondered how long she will continue like this ... I'm thinking it might be just for a few days? Is this about right? Thank you
4 pet sheep

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Loose droppings!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:04 am »
Watching for answer - try this for loose droppings - they've kind of formed bobbly 'stalegtite' like formations!!!! (might make you relieved yours isnt this bad!!!)....  (took sample to vet last week for FEC - no worms).  could do with a good wash but I dont think that is in the shepherding handboook!!!.  Dagged befroe lambing and need to do a bit of something again - sooooo looking forward to that! 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:15:07 am by FiB »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:42 pm »
FiB you need to do a thorough dagging just as you would pre-lambing.  That's just the sort of back end which attracts flystrike .   I consider it to be a man's job so I hold the front end  :roflanim: .  If you don't wear gloves the smell will linger under your nails for ages  :tired:

Moprabbit - how long she will go on with the runs depends partly on her genetics - some sheep just need dryer food that others.  Amongst our Soay, where they are about 50/50 runners and clean-bums, we don't breed from the mucky bummed ones if it happens two years in a row. (that 50/50 split has been noted on St Kilda too so it's not just me  ;D )
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:26:56 pm »
Sorry, no advice to give but kind of sad I guess that I'm reading this with interest  ::) .

Had my original Soay ewes for what must be a good 3 years now and have NEVER had to clean their bums or dag them. I am going to boast and say they have spotless posteriors  ::) ;D  .... I know, I know, nothing better to do. However, a few of last years wethers have dirty backends. Not as bad as the photo but then they don't have so much wool. Have been wormed and fluked and have dagged for the first time ever and washed down but now the muck is returning :( . Was thinking of getting a sample to the vets but maybe it's as FW says and some are just like that.  :-\  Obviously they won't be bred from anyway but must make them a good target for flies  :o

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 12:49:36 pm »
FiB you need to do a thorough dagging just as you would pre-lambing.  That's just the sort of back end which attracts flystrike .   I consider it to be a man's job so I hold the front end  :roflanim: .  If you don't wear gloves the smell will linger under your nails for ages  :tired:
I wish my OH considered it a mans job  ::)  (but all things sheepy are my job!) - I find that all smells sheepy linger - might even get some of those long up to the armpit gloves!!!  Will be doing a pre shearing dag over the next few days and keeping close eye always...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:45:53 pm »
Try putting out some hay if you don't have any out at the moment.  I find it that they will pick at it and it helps keep them more solid in the poo department :).  Especially if you have a lot of wet weather.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »
mine havnt touched hay for weeks.. They have acess to cover and a hay rack at all times but   'you can lead a sheep to hay etc etc........ :sheep: :innocent:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:40:13 am »
Thanks for all the replies - had a good laugh at some!!!!! My ewe is now getting a bit less loose!!! I think she's been eating the hay I gave them! FiB wishing you luck with the 'stalagtites'!!!!!
4 pet sheep

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:12:45 am »
Difficult to say how long the lush grass runs will last - mine won't touch hay at the moment either! Only 2 are mucky - the Shetlands have bums you could eat your dinner off!   Easier to keep clean now shorn. I did read a recommendation to cover with a thick layer of Vaseline after washing, clipping and drying to deter further stickage (Just have to be sure passing dogwalkers don't catch OH doing this to favourite ewe or they may think the worst. Especially as he's Welsh...)  :roflanim:
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 12:17:52 pm »
Difficult to say how long the lush grass runs will last - mine won't touch hay at the moment either! Only 2 are mucky - the Shetlands have bums you could eat your dinner off!   Easier to keep clean now shorn. I did read a recommendation to cover with a thick layer of Vaseline after washing, clipping and drying to deter further stickage (Just have to be sure passing dogwalkers don't catch OH doing this to favourite ewe or they may think the worst. Especially as he's Welsh...)  :roflanim:
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Have noticed this morning that some of mine have dirty bums, oh the joys of sheep!!
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS