Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Halloumi - so easy!  (Read 6644 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Halloumi - so easy!
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:17:03 pm »
Made my first halloumi today  :yum: .  Success!  Had it grilled on a bed of watercress and cherry toms drizzled with balsamic glaze.  It was so quick and easy to make though probably needed a touch more salt. Problem is I am trying to decrease salt in our diet so suggestions of other herbs/spices to give it some presence on the palate would be appreciated.   :hungry:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Halloumi - so easy!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:08:01 pm »
I've heard if it but what is it??

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:14:56 pm »
Ahhh cheese...google is good.. Tell me more.. How do we make it?? I love nothing more than trying new things :bouquet:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:49:49 pm »
Oooh please can you share the recipe or point me in the direction of the recipe.
Thank you sounds lovely

So many ideas, not enough hours

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:47:13 pm »
3 litres milk (recipe says you can use full fat, semi or skimmed), 90ml cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, half teasp salt.
Place the milk in a steel saucepan and set over a med-high heat until it reaches 95 degrees C.
Add the vinegar and turn off the heat.  A float of curd will develop over the course of 4 - 5 mins.  Do not disturb this as it forms.  The whey will gradually clear as the curd forms.
Skim the curd off and transfer to a colander lined with muslin over a bowl.  Sprinkle the curd with salt to taste.  Transfer the salted curd to a cheese mould (I got mine from Lakeland) and press it in.  Then place the mould on two chopsticks in a tray to continue draining off any remaining whey.  Leave to cool.  Store in fridge in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Carl - not sure if this works with goats milk but certainly worth a try.
Louise - Lakeland has a good little 'Soft cheese making' book too.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »
Thank you :bouquet:  how do you use it when it's done?

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:18:08 pm »
Love halloumi, especially on the BBQ (oh just in case you have all forgotten thats a way of cooking outdoors in the sun).

Cant wait to have a go at making it.

Ta

K

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 11:18:33 pm »
Luckylady: use thyme, oregano, rosemary, chillies, Sechuan or pink pepper, mint etc. Many herbs work really well with it - whatever you have at hand
Carl: grill it

:wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:24:28 pm »
The problem is, as with any cheese, and butter too, the salt encourages the fluid (in this case, whey) to leave the curds.  So if you don't use salt, the end product is less solid, more watery.  Unless anyone knows another technique...?  :thinking:

As to alternative flavourings, I haven't made halloumi but with other 'virgin cheeses', the standard options include garlic, chives, paprika, chilli -or any other kind of, including cracked black - peppers, any green herbs (sage, parsley, thyme, oregano / marjoram, etc.)  I don't know which would work best with halloumi but would be interested to hear the results of your experiments!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:42:26 am »
Doesn't Halloumi often contain a little mint?

And would more pressing make it firmer?

How much did you get out of 3 litres of milk? I love Halloumi, but it's just too expensive to buy... If it did work out cheaper buying the milk etc., I might give it a go. (Usually it's far more expensive to make yourself if you have to buy the milk.) I suppose one doesn't have to splash out on fancy cheese presses. Still got the cloths I used to use for "white cheese".

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 08:18:14 am »
Doesn't Halloumi often contain a little mint?

And would more pressing make it firmer?

How much did you get out of 3 litres of milk? I love Halloumi, but it's just too expensive to buy... If it did work out cheaper buying the milk etc., I might give it a go. (Usually it's far more expensive to make yourself if you have to buy the milk.) I suppose one doesn't have to splash out on fancy cheese presses. Still got the cloths I used to use for "white cheese".
Mint sounds good Ina - I'll try that next time.  Pressing it more would make it firmer, I guess, but possibly a little rubbery too.
Out of 3 litres I got a sizeable half to three quarter pound block.
The problem is, as with any cheese, and butter too, the salt encourages the fluid (in this case, whey) to leave the curds.  So if you don't use salt, the end product is less solid, more watery.  Unless anyone knows another technique...?  :thinking:
Sally, in this recipe you only add the salt to the curds anyway so the majority of the whey has already separated.  The consistency of the halloumi was spot on, not rubbery like some of the shop bought ones and perfect to slice.  I like the idea of garlic added to it.
Eve, 'whatever is at hand' duly noted  :thinking:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 08:50:58 am »
Ive never made cheese before but this sounds so simple I'd love to give it a go. Adding garlic or chives sounds lovely. But - how do you 'mix' the additions into the cheese? When it goes into the cheese mould can you stir the extra bits into the cheese and it will settle back into a solid block?

Sorry, no experience whatsoever in cheese making!  :hungry:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 09:51:46 am »
what about some seaweedy addition - I think some of the seaweed/spirulina powders you get from health food shops taste a bit salty (of course that could be because they are salty!! :roflanim: )  Gillian McKeith used to use them a lot in you are what you eat so cant be too bad?

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »
Thank you  :thumbsup:  I can't wait to try it  :excited:

So many ideas, not enough hours

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »
- how do you 'mix' the additions into the cheese? When it goes into the cheese mould can you stir the extra bits into the cheese and it will settle back into a solid block?
Only made it the once so far and I just lightly forked the salt in when it was in the colander before pressing it into the mould. 
FiB - I very nearly added a sea salt and seaweed blend I have in a grind mill but decided to stick to the recipe first time.  Next time - who knows?  So many great suggestions.  Thanks everyone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS