Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question about colour genetics  (Read 6832 times)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Question about colour genetics
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 10:41:23 am »
technically unless your white tup was put to a white ewe you should average 50% white lambs 50%coloured / patterned from the white lambs of the  white tup.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:30 pm »
Do you tup them as hoggs? I don't til they're shearlings, my hoggs aren't fully grown.

Anyway: animals that are white, from the white tup, may well also have a different gene from their mums. Ie if mum was moorit, they'll have a moorit gene from mum, if she was a grey katmoget they'll have both a black gene and a katmoget gene from mum.

So a moorit tup, would give the lamb a 'self-colour' and a 'moorit' gene, and if the white hoggs give their lamb the gene they got from their mum, you'll get different colours, if they give their lambs the white gene they got from their dad, you'll get white lambs again. It's a 50:50 chance, so I suppose on average half your lambs will be white and half coloured, though of course it never works out perfectly to statistics!

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 01:12:41 pm »
Hi,
Thanks Kanisha and Jaykay,
it will be nice to get some hopefully, more colourful lambs next year. :thumbsup:
Here in Scotland we have lambs untill the turn of the year, then we call them hoggs until they are shorn, then obviously they become shearlings, so ours will be shearlings when they go to the tup. Sorry for the confusion.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:55 pm »
That's the system here as well, except that sometimes folk start calling well-grown lambs 'hoggs' from around tupping time, though officially they're still lambs then, til the year turns.

I had a tup with two dominant black genes the year before last and almost every lamb was black. I exchanged him for a katmoget tup with a black and a brown gene this year, and got lots more variety, which was nice :-)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:52:57 pm »
WOW.
gorgeous lambs, thanks for posting the pics, maybe next year  :fc: my lambs will be as colourful.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 08:30:10 pm »
Thank you  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS