Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An amazing sight  (Read 1804 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
An amazing sight
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:27:17 am »
70 years ago was the Dambusters Raid.  The dams at Derwent just up the valley from us, near Chatsworth House, were used as practice.

Today, there was a flypast at the dams, and because two local men were killed in the raid, the Battle of Britian agreed to the last remaining Lancaster Bomber doing a special flypast of the nearest town where they lived at lunchtime today, following a memorial service.  I was visiting my Mother who lives in sheltered housing in the town, and I  was fortunate enough  to witness the Lancaster Bomber do 4 circuits of the town. 

It was nice for my mum to see the plane, as she was 13 when the planes went over to practice on the dams, so would remember seeing them.  I thinkthe whole of the Peak District turned out to see  the plane!!!  One year, on its way to do the flypast at the dams, the Lancaster flew over my house, really low.  I was in the garden at the time, and because the house is very high up, and in the countryside, the plane was really low.  I could see the crew quite clearly, so gave them a wave  ......they waved back and dipped the plane wings :)

I went to the 50 years anniversary, at the dams,  and that was a wonderful experience too.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: An amazing sight
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:55:56 am »
beautiful sight

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:27:23 am »
Lovely program on bbc2 last night about it all, the last couple of heros were there as well as Barnes-Wallace's daughter.  :thumbsup:

Bellow is 617 squadron's tribute to the Dambusters.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:21:54 am by tizaala »

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:42:19 am »
My oh's grandad was one of the technical bods in 617 squadron

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:04:03 am »
got quite emotional reading that Roxy, how lovely for your mum having you stand beside her watching it, bit of family history for you both.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 06:19:33 pm »
I watched a video clip of it on FB this morning taken from inside the plane. It was very moving.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS