Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving a trailer  (Read 10518 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Moving a trailer
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 07:11:18 pm »
Hi,I have a John Deere 2040,I think it dose about 20 mph,the trailer is 60 miles away.3 or 4 hour's there and the same back,thats 7 to 8 hrs solid road driving.As you say its do able,but would be pretty painful by the end, better in the landy. How much Diesel would a tractor use over that sort of distance.

Graham.

grief, I wouldn't even consider it with the tractor.... a transporter with their modern kit will be able to get it up to you for probably not that much more (when you count your time as well) as your costs. Some farmers Ive known might do the kind of journey you are thinking of with the Landy, probably in the wee small hours of a Sunday morning on a bank holiday weekend...:-) if you do it, make sure electrics and lighting board etc are all in perfect order, so you don't get stopped on that pretext.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 07:30:20 pm »
You would probably get away with it using your Landy so long as the whole rig looks right, ie your Landy isn't dragging the towbar along the ground with the front wheels barely on the road! Your average Plod wouldn't know the rules anyway and if you stick to quiet roads and a quiet time of day? I would want to find out the actual weight of the trailer and some idea of it's nose weight before making a decision.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 07:35:30 pm »
Accident. Injure someone, Invalid insurance,  paying for the rest of your life.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 09:40:53 pm »
Hi thanks for the replys,I think as long as what I'm towing doesn't weigh over 3/4 of a tonne it doesn't need to be braked.So as long as this is the case and the nose weight doesn't over load my back axal,I've got a light board and proper no.plt and the trailer has good tires.

What law could I possibly be breaking.

Graham.
Graham.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 04:18:12 pm »
If it's a 4 tonne gross weight trailer I would imagine it will weigh over a tonne empty. Can't see any chance of it being under 750kg.

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:02 am »
Get a haulier to collect it. If not for the reasons above then do it for your back.
I once travelled in a land rover towing empty 6 tonne grain trailer and it was probably the most uncomfortable journey I have ever been on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS