Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving a trailer  (Read 10521 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Moving a trailer
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:37:45 am »
Hi,I looking at buying a 4tonne agricultural tipper trailer.The only problem is it's nearly 60 miles away,how do I get it back to my holding.
I was thinking about towing it back with my land rover,with a light board fitted to the back of the trailer.

Would it be legal to do this,obviously the trailer would be unbraked,what other problems are there likely to be.

Graham.
Graham.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Moving a trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:45 am »
I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be legal - think for combined vehicle/trailer weights over 3500kg you need a tacho (as it's over 50km away) and a Land Rover can only tow 3500kg anyway (or is 4 tonnes the capacity of the trailer, not the empty weight?)

The towing laws in this country are frankly ridiculous - if you passed your test after 1997, as I did, you can legally tow more with a Mazda MX5 than with a Land Rover... Even towing a little Sankey trailer behind a 110 is unlawful without a specific trailer test (or older licence) - you can barely feel the effects of towing one... I could rant for a while longer :)
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:27:14 am »
Hi,the 4tonns is the carrying capacity of the trailer.I would imagine it goes about 1/2 to 3/4 of a tonne empty.

Graham.
Graham.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:41:23 am »
I think it goes on the Maximum Gross Weight i.e what the weight of the vehicle and trailer would be both fully loaded rather than what it actually weighs on the day - sorry :o(

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »
No it doesn't anymore. The rules have recently been changed to the effect that it's the actual weight of the trailer, not the plated weight as it used to be. I would imagine the nose weight of an agricultural trailer would be way too much to be towed by a Landy. Plus having that much weight hanging off the back with no brakes would be asking for trouble.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »
Hi,surely it would be no different than towing a 750kg gross weight trailer fully laden.A standard single axal car trailer is 750kg GW they are un braked.

Graham.
Graham.

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:58:16 pm »
I've towed a 3 1/2 tonne tipping trailer behind my fourtrak and my ldv. I'm not sure how legal it was but it pulled fine and looked ok. I was worried that it would have to much nose weight but it seemed ok.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 05:39:21 pm »
Hi,was that a single or double axal.

Graham.
Graham.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:12:08 pm »
Although your Landy would practically do this task no problem you would be illegal and uninsured on a number of counts
Incompatible towing eyes
Nose weight too heavy
Unsprung axle limited to 20mph

Can you borrow a low loader trailer Ivor Williams or similar

People advertise on ebay. Search on vintage tractor transport or similar about 1 or 2 £ per mile

Otherwise approach local hauliers

I have towed both a muck spreader and a baler home with my disco, but I was younger and dafter then, and it was only 20 miles,  60 is pushing it a bit .

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:49:37 pm »
No it doesn't anymore. The rules have recently been changed to the effect that it's the actual weight of the trailer, not the plated weight as it used to be

I've been unable to find any evidence of this, can you post a link?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:13:18 am »
No it doesn't anymore. The rules have recently been changed to the effect that it's the actual weight of the trailer, not the plated weight as it used to be

I've been unable to find any evidence of this, can you post a link?

It is definitely the actual weight.
Here's some official confirmation of this : this is the VOSA guide for horse box and horse trailer owners. Take a look at page 18. I also have it confirmed in an email sent from VOSA to a horse trailer owner who specifically asked this question.  This also means that only time anyone would need to consider downplating a trailer is if their driving licence limits the weight they as a person can tow, it is not required otherwise, it is the actual load that counts.http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Horsebox%20Guide%20low%20res.pdf

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:19:23 am »
Thanks for that

"It is perfectly acceptable for a goods vehicle to be used with a maximum plated train weight of less than the combined plated gross weights of the vehicle and trailer, as long as the trailer isn’t actually loaded to the extent that its actual weight would exceed the maximum threshold of the towing vehicle’s maximum plated train weight"

I'm limited to a B licence anyway so can barely tow anything

I made this graph a while ago, think it's still relevant

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:42:36 pm »
I presume you have a tractor, why not fetch it with that?? the distance isnt that far.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 05:54:35 pm »
Hi,I have a John Deere 2040,I think it dose about 20 mph,the trailer is 60 miles away.3 or 4 hour's there and the same back,thats 7 to 8 hrs solid road driving.As you say its do able,but would be pretty painful by the end, better in the landy. How much Diesel would a tractor use over that sort of distance.

Graham.
Graham.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 06:21:22 pm »
We used to work on a gallon an hour for similar sized tractors working reasonably hard. Never actually measured it,  but used to lead silage all day with 12 hrs. Massey. 135/165. Etc. and your didn't need to stop to fill up.  A 135 tank is about 8 gallons I think, not sure about 165.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you'll do it on a tank full no bother, but frankly I'd rather pat a haulier,  or hire a low loader trailer,  you must know someone whose palm you could cross with silver.  Otherwise it's leave at 5 am,  you'll be home for lunch !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS