Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb not feeding  (Read 2125 times)

silverflora

• Joined May 2012
Lamb not feeding
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:16:36 am »
I have a lamb born prematurely whose twin died almost as soon as it was born. She is 3 dyas old now, and initially I had to stomach feed her a few times to get her going. She is small but quite lively - but will not feed from mum. Mum has plenty of milk and has been decrutched so there is easy access to the teats, but the lamb is not interested.

Can anyone suggest any way to get her interested in feeding from mum?

Thanks
SF

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Lamb not feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:09 am »
It's a bit of a juggle for one but I've sometimes found if you can get the the lamb to the teat with your finger in her mouth and squirt some of mum's milk in so she gets a taste of how yummy it is she may investigate further  :fc:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Lamb not feeding
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:45:12 am »
I hesitate to reply as only 1st lambing myself - is she penned/could she be penned with lamb?  I penned on field with pallets for 24 hrs (had a similar situation) and latch lamb on (with help) with ewe turned over sitting on one hip like for shearing.  Once id seen them suckle well like this once I left them alone and observed from a distance and they sorted themselves out.  I did end up topping up on field with bottle too and that worked fine (But I suspect thats an iffy one re bonding).

I've seen other posts which say halter the ewe and hold still to allow lamb to suckle (but that's more if the ewe is the problem not standing still I think).
 Good luck - Im sure there will be lots of experienced advice.... F xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS