Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flock management plan  (Read 6905 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Flock management plan
« on: May 11, 2013, 04:31:28 pm »
finally got off my bottom and written it  :excited: . Thought it was about time I used my education and brain (been in hibernation since I gave up lecturing last year  :innocent: )to write down what we are trying to achieve with the sheep & policies for doing so. Loved doing it, think everyone should have one even if it just highlights important dates and policies to be followed. It's a working document so subject to change but felt good writing it all down. Now when hubby complains another thing needs doing I can pop it under his nose and tell him it must be done as it's in the policy  :roflanim:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Flock management plan
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 04:46:38 pm »
Would love one but no idea where to start!

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:00:58 pm »

Could you share the basics of it with us? Or isn't that viable? I would have no idea where to start but it sounds like a good idea.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 05:04:46 pm »

Could you share the basics of it with us? Or isn't that viable? I would have no idea where to start but it sounds like a good idea.

I'll second that!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »
I could give you the sub headings I wrote and you can fill in your own info from there if you think it would help get you started? Perhaps I should hire myself out to write them  :thinking: . So here are the headings I used, if you need more info just shout and I can try and suggest bits to put in
Intro - a bit like a mission statement of what you want to achieve
Biosecurity policy - measures to keep infectious & contagious disease off the premises and contain it if it arrives  (isolation policy, DEFRA regs, preventative drug administration, feed storage and supplies,  treatment of quarantined animals)
prevention of non infectious disease (foot trimming, fly control, shearing, dagging etc)
Pretupping policies (condition scoring, health checks worming strategy, flushing, crutching, nutrition strategy to include vits & minerals)
pre lambing policies (vaccination strategy, nutrition policy, housing,
Lambing policies (housing, nutrition, medication & procedures)
Weaning (age, strategy, health checks)
Cull and retention policy
registration of stock (we breed pure bred sheep)
Timetable of key dates (year planner)
The end... It's really good when you get going and writing it all down. You can also use it as an exercise in finding out about best practices. Remember though it's a working document so may change depending on numerous factors and can be tailored to suit individual circumstances etc. If you find something doesn't work then it can be taken out  or amended at a later date.
Let me know if anyone needs more info  :thumbsup:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:11:00 pm »
Have you got a flip chart, and did it require some blue sky/outside the box thinking?  ;D

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:38:08 pm »
got to love the blue sky planning  :roflanim: :roflanim: . Not good with flip charts but could whip you up a PowerPoint presentation  :excited:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 07:43:43 pm »
This really inerests me too, I feel I just muddle along thinking I probably need to be doing something but not fully knowing what and when, so always feels last minute. Which is not my way of doing things, I love lists and plans of action  :)  so will start planning and writing. Thank you I look forward to more input on this subject  :thumbsup:

So many ideas, not enough hours

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »
Diary? Wallchart? Notebook?  :innocent: Im the least organised person, so I shouldn't wind up sorry  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:16:45 am »
I'm reviewing mine so will put them on the website soon. Not setting them up as the be all and end all, but it would give you a starting point  :)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:46:40 am »

Thanks wellies.

I think I would like to try to write a plan but I'm not sure I'd know what to write in some sections! We're new smallholders and are feeling our way a bit in some areas. We had a plan for what stock we wanted to buy but we haven't stuck to that so far really.

If anyone has plans they are willing to share I'd be very interested in reading them to get an idea of depth of information etc.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 12:55:27 pm »
Let me know what sections you want help with and I'll see if I can suggest some stuff. Mine might not suit you and others will have done a far better job than me so hopefully others will post & we can take best bits from each plan & adapt to our own flocks. I looked at Rosemary's on the website as a starting point & it really helped me. Thank you Rosemary  :thumbsup:

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 12:58:44 pm »
Just so you know Wellies - the vets offered to do me a flock management plan for my little flock - at a cost of £250 ! (apparently it would be a bound copy - well that makes all the difference  ;) )

Funnily enough I said thanks but no thanks, I'll stick to my little black book and my scribbled notes.  Perhaps you should take it up professionally  :)
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »
Blimey... At least they offered to bind it for you. I'd want it leather bound at that price :roflanim:

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 10:07:32 pm »
god you can tell im new at this lol i dont have a clue where to start, everything seems last minute here
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS