Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Nettle Cordial  (Read 39368 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Wild Nettle Cordial
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2014, 04:16:23 pm »
Well I have just decanted my batch and I must say I am very pleased with it.
Lovely colour, not too sweet and quite a pleasant taste  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2014, 12:23:42 pm »
just cooked up my first batch  :fc:

all this has reminded me I have bottles of cider fermenting in the loft  :excited:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 03:18:01 pm »
my first batch ready tomorrow but waiting on the bottles to arrive first.

did some research and apparently if you use nettles with flowers they can develop cystoliths which can irritate the throat, think I'll try it out on the children first  :thinking:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 05:54:10 pm »
Cooked up my first batch yesterday - I've guessed at the amount of lemons as I didn't have citric acid -

Can anyone tell me this - is the citric acid there to make it taste lemony or just to add acid, or both??????

I felt like Macbeth's witches when I was stirring it all up this morning - it just tastes like sugary water though, take it that changes over the week?  Or do I need to add a toad and a tooth fairy  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
Citric acid gives it that sourness, and also you need to use less of it to dilute to taste.  Best place for citric acid is a brew shop.  I buy it in quantity, as it keeps

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2014, 06:37:19 pm »
your local pharmacy can order it in for you too if they don't have it in the dispensary

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 04:18:51 pm »
Citric acid is a stabilizer and preservative. You don' tneed to use it if you are not planning to keep the cordial for any length of time (it freezes well, if you don't drink it straight away too), but I find the results are much more successful with. You can get it easily these days from ebay and places like Wilkinsons as well as the places already listed.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 05:02:38 pm »
I made some elderflower cordial the other day and froze the rest of it, it was very nice. :yum:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2014, 08:30:55 am »
My first ever nettle cordial is half way gone from the fridge already, it had less than the required amount of citric acid as I only had 50g and needed 80 for the double weight, but other than being a little sweet it was just fine and no sore throats whatsoever so I assume I missed any flowers coming.

Just a shame I have been pulling the rest of the nettles ever since to get at the garden, but I'm thinking there may be a few more new grown tops before long with all the rain so I might manage another batch for freezing :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 12:32:24 am »
bottles arrived and 1st batch bottled up, looks and tastes great!!! Now just to go and find some fresh tops for batch number 2..........my neighbours who only visit for a couple of weeks per year have a good looking crop on their side of the fence  :thinking:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:01 pm »
I need to bottle up now but don't have time this weekend so it's going to be sitting for a couple of days longer so we'll see what happens....

Is it too late to make more - they're all in flower now?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 10:13:43 pm »
mine were left for an extra couple of days as I waited for the bottles to turn up, seems fine. A lot of mine have flowered now but I'm finding young ones buried in between the big ones so I'm going to cut them on Sunday  :fc:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 10:19:15 pm »
OK, so we're not giving the evil eye to nettles any more  :D

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »
would love to cut back the old ones and dry them out for goat feed but nowhere suitable to dry them

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:07 am »
well lesson learned!!1

I bottled mine in some lovely kilner clip top bottles and they seemed a bit foamy but thought nothing of it until one of my friends opened a bottle yesterday and the damn thing near hit the moon!

I am guessing that because when I left it for the week I put a big lid on it rather than a tea towel and getting aggitated in the car maybe added to it?  :-\
tasted amazing though  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS