Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Nettle Cordial  (Read 39370 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Wild Nettle Cordial
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2014, 06:55:52 pm »
Ellied, you would be dangerous with a wooden spoon I think  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:44 pm »
 :roflanim: Ellied that is so funny. Hope mine goes a bit more to plan.

Took some young uns with me to do the dirty work of picking nettles only to spend most of the time hunting down docks to neutralise the nettle rashes on them  :tired:

Off to the kitchen now to start the recipe  :fc:  :excited:

HappyHippy

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »
I messed about with this a LOT last year, changing it slightly & experimenting with the quantities.
What works for me (and was eventually agreed by EHO so I could sell it  ;)) is;
Pick the nettles (top 4-6 inches) and rinse them in cold water.
Mix boiling water with sugar and citric acid and stir til it dissolves, then add the washed tops.
Weigh down the nettles in the syrup (I use a big, heavy plate) and stir every day for 5 days.
After 5 days, strain the mixture and bottle.

I use sterilised bottles, filled when hot. Then I place the lids on loosely and put in a water bath, bring the temp to 75C and hold there for 10 minutes before sealing the bottles. I find it keeps for 6 months easily, but don't have any older than that to test (it always sold out  ;))

I think it has a lovely berry flavour, with a bit of 'greeness' to it - it is really nice (even the kids drink it) and it's lovely if you add a dash to a white wine spritzer  :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »
Thanks for that info Karen.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »
We started ours last night. Is it supposed to look like a thick gloop mix of browning nettle?  :tired:

It does smell ok and small child tester said it tasted nice when he stirred it tonight.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:45 pm »
you shouldn't use a small child to stir it, use a spoon like everyone else!!!   :excited: :excited: :excited: :stir: :stir: :stir:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 07:22:14 pm »
  :roflanim:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 09:36:03 pm »
It's easier to use a small child and they can taste it while they work  :roflanim:

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2014, 10:38:12 pm »
 Really want to try this as our place is full of nettles! (Also have 2 smallish children) sounds like they will come in handy.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53:54 am »
Well I taste tested my first ever batch yesterday and I'm still standing so can't have been too much of a disaster tho I think it is a bit too sweet, maybe inadequate citric at the outset was to blame or maybe I just poured too much, but I've 3 plastic ex fruit juice bottles in the fridge and can imagine them all being safely disposed within the 4 weeks so haven't risked freezing or glass bottling and pasteurising this time.  Think I'm liability enough so I'll just drink it and then move on to elderflowers and more nettles when I'm convinced it was all worthwhile ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2014, 09:10:09 am »
I am happy to be a guinea pig Ellied...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2014, 11:51:40 am »
500gr nettles just put in the syrup.
I will give an update in 5 days time  :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2014, 09:56:49 am »
sounds unusual, but I will try it. One question is it the tops of the nettles only or is it the leaves as well?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
The juice was worth the nettle rash  :innocent: its going down well here, but I agree it is a bit sweet so will try another batch with less sugar. None frozen here either as it's being used too quickly  :D

WBF I used the young top growth of stem with leaves, not the older flowering stems.  Chopped them at Appx 4" from the top.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2014, 02:45:56 pm »
If you use lemons instead of citric acid, what would be the quantity for this recipe, and would it make a difference to the flavour?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS