Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best polytunnel heater  (Read 2835 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Best polytunnel heater
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:18:05 am »
I am SOOO determined that my cucmbers aren't going to succumb to the cold this year.

We normally have a late frost in May which killed all my tender little cukes last year and we've got snow forecast for this afternoon  :o :rant:

So - I am planning to invest in a polytunel heater.

Does anybody have any experience/recommendations?

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Best polytunnel heater
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:40 am »
Probably not much help, but we're going to put a couple of hens in ours (in a house) over winter. Apparently the body heat is enough to warm the tunnel.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »
Great idea, would that work with my little placcy greenhouse too?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Marlboro

• Joined Jan 2013
  • West Wales
  • 42 sheep, 5 ducks 10 chickens and Meg
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:55:36 pm »
Hens :roflanim:the little b...s would scratch up everything and eat what they hadn't killed. I spend a lot of time keeping my free range darlings out of both flower and veg beds. Odd bits of plastic and netting everywhere :chook: but they still seem to get in, no wonder they warm it up with all that activity. Hmm perhaps a big cage at one end, I still think they may do more harm than good.

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:08:25 am »

Word of warning regarding housing chickens inside the polytunnel.

The first year I tried it the covering was heavily scratched and torn probably by a fox knowing the were something inside.  This year netted to waist height all round.

As for the heat issue I still found that the water was frozen on the odd occassion.  Oh make sure that any overwintering items are well secured!

As for the heater, I have a propane one but due to the large volume required  to heat it eats the propane even just on low. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:12:11 am by Floyd »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:27 am »
Hens :roflanim:the little b...s would scratch up everything and eat what they hadn't killed. I spend a lot of time keeping my free range darlings out of both flower and veg beds. Odd bits of plastic and netting everywhere :chook: but they still seem to get in, no wonder they warm it up with all that activity. Hmm perhaps a big cage at one end, I still think they may do more harm than good.

Yes - it would be a bit impractical with all my tomatoes and other veg planted out. :roflanim: :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:29 am »
Could you install a rocket stove mass heater? Not expensive to make and don't need to worry too much about carbon monoxide as it's not going to be inside a house
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:47:25 am »
 :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: ................................wishful thinking maybe????
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS