Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Having a really terrible evening!  (Read 15684 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Having a really terrible evening!
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:15:39 pm »
I cannot believe it, but someone has stolen two of my miniture Ouessants from the field over the last two days!

We have moved them to our new property where they can graze which is surrounded in hedges and trees and fencing and secured with farm gates and we thought perfectly safe.  We are usually down there for long days fencing etc but didn't get there yesterday because of the awful rain. We went down this afternoon to check on Norman and his girls to find him with just two of the the full sized Ouessants and Holly and Ivy gone. Norman is very upset - he went for me big time and butted me which he has never done before and all three are really skittish and unsettled.

How can people be so horrible - I am just devistated. Perhaps I have been a fool because I have been spending lots of time taming them ready for the new property where we were hoping people could pet them.  They had to be easy pickings because they are so tame and friendly now.

I know what is done is done and perhaps I am daft writing it down, but I just feel so sad and upset about it.

Kate

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Having a really terrible evening!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:21:24 pm »
Oh the absolute B******s.........some people, honestly.      Poor you, you must be devastated........Its the not knowing that's the worst isn't it.   Will you tell the police?   Could you put posters up and advertise if anyone has seen anything suspicious or has seen some highly unusual sheep.....you never know.   Sending you a virtual hug.  What a miserable time.  I'm so, so sorry. :'( :'( :'(
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:26:51 pm »
truely unbelievable ,
dont go blaming yourself and call yourself foolish as its not your fault for doing the best for your animals - it is "their" failing not yours.
keep yer chin up - we're all thinking of you   
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:34:34 pm »
oh that is horrible news Kate,
                              I am so sorry ..... it is bad enough if it just an item that gets taken , but animals are a different matter altogether . As Blinkers said ....absolute B******s and few more suitable words I could think of , but would be unprintable even with some letters taken out !!! I really hope you get them back ! ...I don't suppose there is any chance they have squeezed through a gap somewhere into nearby land ?
        As you say whats done is done, but you are in no way daft writing it down !!! I think it will help !!!    Try not to feel to upset , but that is so much easier said than done  .....My thoughts are with you  , more virtual hugs from me too..... Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:51:28 pm »
Oh, Kate, what a rotten thing to happen.

Won't the Police help?

It's not your fault; poor Norman, too.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:40:03 pm »

I'm really sorry and shocked to hear about your loss... I do hope that the police can do something about it.

Your in our thoughts (hugs)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:51:08 am »
Any news this morning?
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:07 am »
oh thats awfull, i cant believe people would do something like that.

did you contact the police?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:38 am »
Thanks everyone! Going to the Gendarmes pm today - no one there this morning!

Will also speak to the Marie tommorrow (he only opens a couple of times a week).

I really don't hold out any hope what so ever to get them back. There are so many farms spread about in all sort of nooks and crannies here - we are in deepest Normandy farming country. To be honest they are small enough to be kept in a reasonable sized garden so could be anywhere. Hopefully they are with a nice family who will pet them.

There is no way they have been trapped at our property though. John and I walked the whole three and a half hectars, and beyond our boundaries are more fields. The girls never leave Norman - they stick like glue so there is no way they would have wandered off. It truely is a tradegy for us.

By informing the authorities at least they will be aware of a theft just incase there are more of them in the area.

Your support means a lot - just what this website is all about - a community of friends.

Thank you all again

Kate xx
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:51:34 am »
Kate its really awful, so sorry for you.  Thinking of you all.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:45:55 pm by Hilarysmum »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:16:15 am »
Hello

I really feel for you.........however there are things you can do.

Firstly check they havent run off......I know it sounds unlikely but we has 2 ouessants do a runner and they were gone for 24 hours and despite 5 of us searching for 24 hours did not see sight nor sound .....until they came back!!! Black sheep are very hard to see!

Also you must report this to the maire, local EDE, etc etc (its a requirement as there is bluetongue around) also inform the yahoo group and Kanisha who runs it. You must report their eartag numbers as they are unique to you if you bred them or will have been transferred to you when you got them so unless anyone has removed eartags recently, which will be obvious they are identifiable!

You said minature as opposed to ordinary ouessants....ALL ouessants including rams should be under 46 cm ewes 49 cm rams........what size and colour are yours?.........are the bigger ones ouessant cross?

Anyway, it pays to have sheep that come when fed but that are not too tame! Also have you enquired of the local farmers if they have found some sheep and also put up some posters in the local bar or boulangerie?

Hope you find them :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:18 pm »
So sorry to hear the news Kate. I do hope they are found.I lost my goose yesterday, the winds blew the door off the goose shed and she must have snook out to make a nest, and she has benn taken by either a very ambitious fox or a badger. i just have the three boys left now, so i will have to have a rethink. ( let them sleep in the stables last night). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
carl

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 01:41:02 pm »
What a really dreadful thing to happen, I'm sooo sorry for you.  I hope you find out one way or another whats happened to them and if someone rather than something is responsible then they get whats coming to them!  Keeping everything crossed you get them back!
Hilary

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 07:32:17 pm »
Ohhh Kate, how sad  :'(   Make sure you go & see the maire, I'm sure he would be very helpful especially when he knows you are new to the area.  Ask around all the locals or nearest village & tell the Gendarme.
I do hope there will be a happy ending for you all.

Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 11:22:23 pm »
Oh Kate,

I'm so sorry. It's always at the back of my mind that this could happen to our animals as they live on land seven miles from us. We often see people 'kerb crawling' to have a friendly look at the pigs - curiosity no doubt, but I've often worried someone less friendly would take an interest in them.

I do hope the police can help you - I have everything crossed that you get them back safe and sound.

Pebbles

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS